Would fraxel laser treatment be a viable method for removing these 2 year old stretch marks on dark skin? (Photos)

I am currently 20 years old and these marks developed 2 years ago when I was regularly using a topical hydrocortisone treatment. Once the marks developed on my inner thigh, I stopped using it. While I realize I will not be able to get rid of the marks completely, I would like to improve the texture and color as much as I can. My biggest concern is dealing with hyperpigmentation as a result of a laser treatment. What would be the best solution for minimizing these marks?

Fraxel for Stretch Marks

You raise some important points regarding stretch marks, topical steroid use and treatments available in the context of darker skin.

The specifics of your case call for a practitioner with an expertise in skin biology and healing - I suggest looking for board certified plastic surgeons and/or dermatologists in your area with an interest in this subject.

Fraxel Dual may very well play a role in reducing the width of some or all of your stretch marks and it can be used in people with darker skin. It may also be combined with other skin tightening technologies like Thermage.

Key to understand is that the results will be partial and the treatments could lead to the hyperpigmentation that you've raised.

We have found our best results using a combination of pre-treatment lightening agents (of the Hydroquinone family) etc coupled with multiple technologies as outlined above. 

You would be wise to try a small test area (perhaps a single mark) to see if you get the results you are looking for.

Best of luck on your search

Dr Nodwell

Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of striae related to topical steroid use

Thank you for the photos. Unfortunately, striae is a well known side effect of long term topical use. However, the good news is that there are treatments that will help improve the appearance. I see best results with combination treatments. I suggest you look into a combination treatment with Fraxel and microneedling. The superficial wavelength (1927 nm) of the Fraxel Dual will help with the pigmentation while the microneedling will help with the texture. The deeper wavelength of the Fraxel Dual (1550 nm) could also be used to help with the texture. I recommend an in-person consultation with an experienced practitioner.