Forehead reduction, hair transplant, or alternatives? (photo)

Hi, I'm a 25 year old male looking for a way to lower my hairline. My forehead measures about 2.75 in (7cm) from my hairline to my eyebrows, and I'd like to lower the hairline by 1 to 1.5 inches. I don't think my hairline is receding, and I'm not losing any hair at the moment... although the older male members of my family do exhibit sign of hair loss. From my research, I'm considering either forehead reduction or hair transplant. Please let me know the best course of action.

Hair line lowering surgery for men is possible but it involves careful examination to make sure there is no male pattern

Hair line lowering surgery for men is possible but it involves careful examination to make sure there is no male pattern balding.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

25 year old male wants lower hairline

Please do not get a hair line lowering procedure because if you bald, you will bald behind the new hairline, lose the hair line and have a scar at the hair line. Hair transplants are the way to go. To find out the mature hairline, measure your hairline from the highest wrinkle in the furrowed brow. Your juvenile hairline was one the wrinkle and the mature male hairline belongs about 1 2- 3/4 inch above this highest crease. Your hairline can be transplanted anywhere between the two locations, not lower. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Forehead/hairline

Although a forehead reduction (a hairline lowering scalp advancement) can give a dramatic, quick result, a hair translant would be the better choice for a young malevwith a family history of male pattern hair loss. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon