This is a follow up to my first question: New lines created by non paralysed muscles moving against paralysed muscles? (Photo)

If a new line has been created by a non paralysed muscle moving against a paralysed one (from an unbalanced Botox treatment) or because an active muscle is being pulled, how will the line fade once all muscles are working together again? (after Botox has dissipated). Will the line stay in the skin because it has been held there for 3 or 4 months? I do not want to re-treat area for fear of making it worse.Once the new line has been created will it always remain? Thank for for any advice.

Botox results

It shouldn’t be permanent and will go back to what it looked like before, after the BOTOX has worn off. It’s possible that you may not have been aware of the line before the BOTOX and now that surrounding muscles have been relaxed, the line is more visible. Either way, if you did not have it before, it shouldn’t be permanent.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Return to the same

Botox only works for 3 months and typically has no long lasting effects.  After the effects wear off, you will return to the way you had been with no residual effects.  Good luck. 

New wrinkles after Botox

Thank you for your question NellyN. Botox is a great treatment to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as those on the forehead. Any time a patient does Botox for the first time, we always take standardized before photographs in five positions both at rest and with facial expression. Two weeks later we take the same series to assess the results. In this way, if the result is not ideal adjustments can be made. When treating the forehead, I like to treat the horizontal wrinkles on the upper forehead along with the frown lines between the brows. This allows for a harmonious balance on the forehead and decreases the possibility of appearance of new wrinkles. When new wrinkles appear with facial expression, a small amount of Botox can be used for correction. I always reassure patients that Botox is not permanent and results will last three to four months on average. Please consult with your doctor for specific recommendations.

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician