Do I need to get fluid drained right away? (Photo)

I didn't follow up with my post op appointment and it's been almost 5 months and my left breast has gotten significantly bigger than my right breast it also is more squishy and I feel like there's fluid in it I can hear swishing when I move it PS is on vacation and I don't know if I have money to correct this what do I do??? I'm so scared

Possible fluid post BA - how to manage?

Hello!At 5 months after surgery it would be very unusual to have drainable fluid in the breast. You may have some size mismatch or some asymmetrical implant settling. It does not look like you are in an emergent situation, so you may schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon upon her/his return. The surgeon should not be charging you for an appointment and whatever is needed to manage issues that are secondary to your surgery are often covered, particularly nonsurgical issues.

I think that if you noticed a size change recently, you should be seen in person by your surgeon . good luck.

Breast augmentation - one breast starting to swell

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • So first of all, find out when your surgeon returns.
  • If it is in a day or so - wait to see him.
  • If he's away for a while, ask the office to send you to the surgeon covering for your surgeon.
  • One can't tell you what is going on at this point without an examination.
  • I know the waiting is hard - but you should be seen within a day or two.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Follow up with your surgeon

Hello Marie and thank you for your question. There is not much advice we can give you over the internet, if there is fluid build up inside of your breast then you must see your surgeon in person. This can be unnerving but everything will be okay, you must follow up with your surgeon as soon as you can in order to work out a plan for getting the seroma removed. Best wishes.

Traci Temmen, MD

Fluid In Breast

I recommend that you contact your Plastic Surgeon's office and ask them to connect you with a surgeon who is covering your surgeon's cases while they are away. This should be evaluated in person.
All the best

Fluid in left breast?

Thank you for the question and photo.   I can't see the difference from your photo, but you need to follow up with your PS , atleast see his nurse before he returns from vacation. 

Chad Robbins, MD

This seroma, needs to be addressed by your plastic surgeon and removed from around the implant. Best wishes.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Follow up needed

I agree with the prior comment in that you should follow up with your surgeon.  If the concern is not rapidly changing, I would expect that you can wait till your doctor returns from vacation but you need to discuss this with the surgeon covering call for your surgeon. Typically there should be no charge for a follow up appointment of this nature.  From the photo included it is difficult to say if you have a seroma which would be unusual after this type of surgery (especially five months out).  A hematoma would be even more unlikely (this complication is usually accompanied by a rapid change in breast size and pain) which typically occurs within the first month post op.

Do I need to get fluid drained right away?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns but you will need to follow up with your plastic surgeon, or covering doctor, for evaluation and advice. Best wishes.