Can a flat, bulbous tip be refined or sutured even closed rhinoplasty?

I'm confused about nasal tip refinement for rhinoplasty patients. Does refining the nasal tip always require suturing the domes (something I associated with open rhinoplasty)? Is that what is recommended flat, wide tip nose with thick skin? Also, doesn't suturing the tip require using grafting material, like ear or septum? What if the patient dislikes the look of the sutured nose/its new projection or wants no rotation? #flat nose #wide nose #sutures #primary rhinoplasty #nasal tip #tip angle

Tip refinement with dome sutures

Placin some sutures can be done using the closed or open approach. In fact 98% of open techniques can be done closed in my experience. Done sutures are the main intervention used for substantial tip refinement suturing the domes actually helps stabilize and strengthen the tip. Cartilage is not always required but often is used to further strengthen or stabilize the tip to help with longevity and airway support. Rotation and projection are not always the result of tip work. Those aspects can be controlled with the techniques used. 

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty

Many rhinoplasty techniques include some form of tip refinement which may include cartilage trimming and suturing of the tip cartilages. Most are done open.

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your description, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. There are many ways to accomplish this in a natural looking manner. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip

The bulbous tip is refined with either a conservative cartilage removal, or suture techniques applied to the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. Both are performed when there is excessive and wide cartilage in the tip. The bulbous tip reduction procedures can be addressed with either closed or open rhinoplasty, depending upon the surgeon's  preference. Cartilage grafting techniques are only used when  needed. For more information and many examples of bulbous-tip reduction with closed rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Nose changes

Rhinoplasty surgery is really one of the most complex of the major types of cosmetic surgery. The three dimensional structure, the numerous structures involved, the numerous maneuvers possible to combine and even differing ways to achieve same/similar results. Your questions are all questions a good surgeon will be considering as they are evaluating your nose, your goals and their operative plan.
Clearly, you would need an in-person examination and thorough consultation to have a more complete picture of your specific situation.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD