Filler for nasolabial folds?

What is the best filler option for nasolabial folds that will last longer and that will not shift? I did once Radiesse but I didn't see any improvement.

Filler in NLF

Dead Lory,
Thank you for your questions. That's disappointing that you didn't see results after Radiesse. You may have required either more product in the area or product placed in a different position. Radiesse is a firm filler. It's made from calcium hydroxy appetite- the same substance found in bone! But we don't have a medication that can dissolve it so safety wise it is not my favorite.I would likely choose to use a mixture of voluma which lifts the cheeks up from the NLF and possibly also a touch of juvederm in the actual line of the NLF.I hope this helps and best of luck!!Dr. Morgan

Ideal filler for nasolabial folds

Ideal filler depends on the treatment area as well as the thickness and health of the skin in the treatment area. Also, many HA fillers are hydrophilic and attach to 1000 times their weight to tissue water after being injected. Therefore, an expert injector will account for all these variables in the process of choosing an ideal filler.For the nasolabial folds in a 20-30 year old with full cheeks and healthy skin, I use Juvederm Ultra.  In a 40 year old with some facial tissue loss in midface and ok skin, I opt for Juvederm Ultra Plus. In a 50 year old with significant midface cheek loss and aged skin, I first recreate the cheeks with Voluma. Then I  fill the folds with the thinnest filler that won't look like a thick worm under the skin. Volbella, FDA approved summer 2016 is ideal for such a need.  Choose your expert physician wisely and expect them to guide you on the ideal filler based on your characteristics.

Monica Bonakdar, MD
Corona Del Mar Physician

It is difficult to answer this question without a picture, but if you are thinking about fillers to lift the folds, Restylane Lyft and Voluma are good choices.

NL folds

Hello, and thanks for your question. It's tough to recommend a treatment plan without a photo, but many of my patients who come to me wanting to treat their nasolabial folds respond well to Voluma placed in the cheeks. This is a thick, volumizing filler designed to attract water, which results in a nice lifting effect, thereby softening the lines in the lower face. You may also benefit from some filler (such as Juvederm or Restylane) placed directly in your NL lines. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon