Can fat transfer to the face cause sagging over a number of years?

I am considering getting a fat transfer for my under eye hollows and to my cheeks. What worries me are the reports of fat transfer looking great at first, but then the extra weight of the heavy abdominal fat causing the skin to pull down. This could make dark circles look worse by stretching the thin lower eyelid skin and could potentially worsen scleral show. What is your experience 3+ years down the line with facial fat transfer patients?

I have a lot of experience with this. In general fat transfer to the face does well in the long term.

In some people the fat grows, usually with weight gain but sometimes without. This does not look good over time as it makes the face look heavy and doughy in my opinion. Pts who get this problem are usually younger and get large amounts of fat placed.

I personally think that a safer way to go would be voluma. It is not permanent and can be dissolved if necessary.   

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer Lasts Longer

Fat transfer to the the face is the best way to go. Fat transfer will correct whatever fat you will loose as we get older. If you would rather have faster results a filler is a better way to go, although it is not permanent and can be dissolved if necessary. I suggest you make an appointment with a double board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat to face

In general  there is no sagging over the long term.   If a lot of fat is transferred and if a person gains weight there could be problems.   MY Best,  Dr C

Fat transfer to the face

Fat transfer to the face is often a nice complement to patients looking for facial rejuvenation.  This is often performed to counteract the facial deflation that occurs with age.

Fat transfer

I appreciate your concern, but fat transfer is your best option. Studies have shown that we lose fat in our face as we age, and fat transfer corrects that. Seek out a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD