Is fat going to return to face and neck if liposuction was performed during facelift?

My face was full of little 2mm marks after facelift. Now my face has been getting more gaunt everyday as the swelling disappears. I'm wondering that maybe the doctor did a liposuction to my face and took fat out. He does not answer to my e-mails.

Speak with your surgeon

My best advise would be for you to speak with your surgeon and/or get a copy of your operative notes to find out exactly what was done. And if you still aren't happy with your results once all the swelling has subsided and you are completely healed then you may want to consider filler or fat transfer to relieve the "gauntness". Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Ask Your Surgeon For Specifics

I'm sorry your experience hasn't been positive. Your first step should be to visit the plastic surgeon's office to learn exactly what was done during your surgery. Once that's taken care of, you'll at least understand more about why your face appears to be getting more gaunt. Communication is an essential part of the relationship between a plastic surgeon and patient, and unfortunately for you, that appears be lacking. I hope you are able to get this resolved.

Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your procedure at this early-stage.  Multiple 2 mm marks on your face suggest to me that liposuction may have been done.  Just today I saw consult who was told by a European plastic surgeon that this was necessary but is not part of my routine and is uncommon in the United States.  Excessive fat removal can lead to a gaunt narrowing and hollowing of the cheeks and face and may need future fat injection or filler injection to correct.  We're of course guessing what was done but having a copy of the operative report and a face-to-face meeting with your plastic surgeon to discuss the issue is of paramount importance.  Removal of fat in the jowls and some time from the cheeks is necessary as a part of a facelift but should not be performed in every patient or to excess.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Contour change or fat loss?

I'll assert that you have not given enough information to really answer this question. Certainly, you should return to your physician and discuss the matter with him/her. That being said, a gaunt face can be due to either contour abnormalities (a skin and SMAS lift in a thin person without addressing the mid face or a lack of fat.  I'm unsure how much time has passed since you have had the procedure, but most problems tend to improve with time.  If the problem persists beyond 11months to a year, you can discuss with your surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon specialist in your area, whether liporeinjection to the face and neck or a revision of the surgery is advisable.

Gregory S. Keller, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

Guant after facelift

Healing after face lifting surgery is progressive ,and although initial healing is just a couple of weeks,you will notice changes for 12-16 weeks after your procedure. It is not until then, that one can make a judgement as to the cosmetic result and whether "touch-up's" will be required . Call your  surgeons office and make an appointment to be seen in person. This is better than an email .

Michael H. Wojtanowski, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Face gaunt and small marks after face lift

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• I am sorry you are concerned.
  • I assume your surgery was done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
  • To find out what was done, just ask for a copy of your surgeon's operative note.
  • Given your concerns, it would be wiser to go in to see your surgeon, instead of talking over the phone.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Fat transfer or liposuction after facelift

It is difficult to know whether fat was removed during your surgery. Small incisions may be from liposuction cannula or could be from fat transfer incisions. Your surgeon should be able to give you the necessary information. 

Ask your doctor

It sounds like the communication between you and your surgeon has been lacking.  As others have stated, there are a few possibilities for the 2mm incisions but I would guess that fat transfer may have happened.  You need to ask your doctor in person if email is ineffective.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of face

Fat removed from the neck should not come back. However if you gain wait, the residual fat cells my hypertrophy a bit.

Facelift recovery

Little holes in the face can be from injecting local anesthesia, liposuction or lipofilling. best to ask your Doc in your follow up visit. Sometimes the little holes can be good for drainage of possible fluid collections. Hope you are recovering quickly from your surgery. Liposuction is usually permanent removal of fat cells. Good luck.

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon