Face lines. What's the difference between Botox and Restylane? (Photo)

What's the difference between botox and restylyne? I'm 40yrs old and I'm thinking about it...

Botox and Fillers

Thank you for your question. Botox is a muscle relaxer that helps soften frown lines between the glabella and crow's feet by relaxing the muscles that cause the fine lines and wrinkles to form with movement. Restylane is a dermal filler that is used to increase volume and improve certain facial wrinkles/lines that are seen at rest. An in person consultation with an experienced injector would help determine your candidacy. 

Highland Park Physician

Botox or Fillers

While physical exam is optimal, your photo demonstrates that you are aging like a fine wine, you look good! Any treatment for the face is very personal, and should start with what, if anything, bothers YOU! Botox is used for wrinkles caused by animating muscles of the face like those found in the forehead, mid-brow or crow's feet. Fillers are used to improve and soften deeper lines that are not amenable to Botox, or to inflate areas of the face that have become deflated or sunken by Father Time. Check out the link below to articles I wrote about the Aging Face, and what you can do about it.  Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Difference between Botox and Restylane

Botox is a neuromodulator and is used to control wrinkles that occur with movement - dynamic wrinkles. Restylane is a dermal filler and is used to improve lost volume and correct wrinkles/groves which appear at rest - static wrinkles. Usually both are need for optimal results at your age. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

The Difference Between Botox and Restylane

Botox works by blocking the signals from the nerves to the muscles. The injected muscle can then no longer contract, which causes the wrinkles to relax and soften. Botox is mostly used on forehead lines, crow's feet (lines around the eye) and frown lines. 

Restylane is a hyaluronic acid dermal filler that corrects deep lines, folds, and wrinkles. It is also used in areas of the face that have become deflated or sunken.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Your picture

Its difficult to do an examination from just a picture. I would recommend following up with an experienced, reputable injector for an in person evaluation.

Botox versus Restylane

Thank you for your question Libraloves47. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as the horizontal lines seen on the upper forehead when one raises the brow, the vertical lines between the brows seen when one frowns, and the crow's feet seen around the eyes when one smiles or squints. Restylane, on the other hand, is a hyaluronic acid dermal filler that is used to restore lost volume in areas such as the under eyes, lips, and nasolabial folds. Depending on the individual goals one or both may be used along with a variety of other treatments. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Difference between Botox and Restylane

In the simplest terms, Botox improves facial aesthetics by reducing the movement of facial muscles that cause lines/wrinkles to form.  Think about the lines that form on your forehead when you raise your eyebrows - treatment with Botox reduces or eliminates these lines.  On the other hand, fillers such as Restylane work at the skin level.  Fine lines or areas that need more volume can be treated with Restylane.  This "plumps up" the skin.  The effects of both Botox and Restylane are temporary.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Restylan

these are very different one is a neuromodulater for relaxation of muscles that often create unwanted lines, ie. Botox.

Restylane is a filler that is used to restore volume in deeper folds of the face. 

I recommend you to discuss specific issues regarding your questions with your dermatologist. 

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Wrinkle removal with Botox and fillers

It depends on the area you are looking to treat. Botox is good for controlling lines that occur during movement: forehead, mid-brow or crow's feet. Fillers provide volume and fill in static wrinkles. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer 

Botox vs. Restylane

Botox relaxes muscles that can cause wrinkles while Restylane is a filler that adds volume to an area like the lips or cheeks, or it can be used to fill in wrinkles. Botox is a great thing to use to prevent wrinkles since it relaxes the muscles that cause the lines between the brows, the forehead lines, or crows feet. At 40, you may want to consider starting Botox for that preventive purpose. Your photo has you lying down, so I can't see any areas that need filler.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon