Eyes are still swollen and uneven after 5 months double eyelid surgery? (Photos)

I had double eyelid surgery over 5 months ago but my eyes are still very tight,swollen and uneven. My crease on my right eye is a lot thicker than the left one, they lok so unnatural! It has been over 5 months now, will my eyes get better or should I get a revisional surgery? Thank you!

Asymmetry after double-eyelid surgery

Obviously you should speak with your surgeon, but some (at least minor) asymmetry after any kind of bilateral operation is unavoidable. If your surgeon does suggest revision it's probably a fairly simple procedure if only skin is the problem and the fold itself is at the right position.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis after double eyelid surgery

It appears you have asymmetric upper eyelid ptosis which is not related to the skin surgery you had. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation and possible ptosis treatment. See following link and video.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You will benefit from revisional surgery.

The right eye has ptosis and an upper eyelid hollow.  This can and should be revised to improve the symmetry between the two eyelids.  Don't live with this. Do not assume you surgeon can make this type of repair.  This is highly specialized work.

Eyelid asymmetry

You may want to followup with your surgeon who might revise the lid for you. It appears that the lid crease is higher and the lid margin is lower on the right (ptosis). This gives an appearance of swelling because you see more skin between the edge of the lid and the crease. If your surgeon is reluctant to revise, you have the option of a second opinion. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

4 lid bleph

The healing process of the lids takes at least 6 months. I never do any revision surgery prior to one year post op because you don't want to be chasing your tail so to speak. As things are healing the tissue changes. 

You are still within the window of seeing some improvement. One thing you could try is warm compress and a low sodium diet < 1000mg/day for 2 wks. I have found that helps post op swelling a lot!

Best of luck.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon