What is going on with my right eye? Smaller and higher than right. (photos)

I noticed my right eye and somehow shifted on my face and looks to be smaller. I noticed it maybe 4 months ago. I went to an ophthalmologist at the time and had a full eye exam and he didn't see anything wrong. He even told me it was in my head, until I noticed it in pictures. I have been hit in my eye a few times (boxing) but it looks horrible to me. I am now starting to have aches and pains around the eye, and right side of the head front and back. I will be seeing a neurologist on Monday.

Doctor Answers 3

Eye size asymmetry, one eye bulging

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your right eyeball appears more bulging than left eye. It could be due to many factors. The left upper eyelid also appears more droopy. Best to see an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Your Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for posting your question and photos.  I'm glad that you had an Ophthalmologist check your eyes.  A CT scan is probably the next step to check the bones and other structures around the eyes.  I'm sure your neurologist will order this test.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Change in eyelid position

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I don't think a neurologist will help you. I would see an oculoplastic surgeon - this is an ophthalmologist who specializes in the eyelids and orbit. In the pictures, it appears you have asymmetry between the two eyes with regards to eyelid position. This can be caused by thyroid disease or a change in the position of the actual eyeball (one eye either pushed out or sunken in). I would have your thyroid checked. I would also make sure they check that you don't have a chronic sinus condition that can lead to a gradual sinking in of the eyeball. An oculoplastic surgeon will perform a thorough exam and determine the position of your eyeballs in the sockets and if your eyelid position is normal. Good luck!

Katherine Zamecki, MD, FACS
Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.