One eye bigger than other; what do I do? (Photos)

i got rid of my glasses a year ago and i've noticed now that when i smile one eye looks bigger than the other. i chew on the left side of my mouth, could that be the problem? i am smiling in the picture and this is how my eyes look when i do, how can i fix this?

Facial Asymmetry Is The Rule Rather Than the Exception

It is rare for patient's facial features to be symmetric.  The eye shape and size is dictated by a number of variables including the size of the bony orbit,  fat, muscle pull/size and surrounding structures.    Asymmetry is also the rule for the cheeks, the jawline, the chin and the nose.  Perfect symmetry is not a prerequisite for beauty.   Of course some asymmetries can be abnormal or extreme due to development, trauma or disease.   In those cases, plastic surgery can certainly help to improve symmetry when it is warranted.  In your case, your eyes are perfectly normal and there is really nothing that can be "fixed".

Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

We all have a little asymmetry

You have beautiful eyes and each smiles a little differently. The volume of the eye sockets can be the reason in your case, or a stronger muscle on one side. A touch of Botox could be tried in the lower eyelid muscle on the side that seems smaller when you smile. Try that and see if you like the difference. Good luck!

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye asymmetry

Everyone has some facial asymmetry, but many patients notice more in their eyes than anywhere else.   I do not think that you need surgery.