To what extent can you fix this nose to make it look as normal as possible? (Photo)

I'm wondering whether it would be rather difficult to achieve my goal of having a 24/7 nose through surgery. So what's your take on it? What would you advise in this particular case?

Nasal tip de-projection

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a nasal tip de-projection and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had nasal tip de-projection surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Subtleties are the key to natural looks

subtle profile refinement with deprojection of your tip would give you a very nice result. From the front, a little bit of refinement is all that is necessary.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Can My Nose Look Normal?

Your idea of normal and another patient's idea of normal might be two totally different things. Also, because your photos show very little of your face, it is difficult to judge the *subtleties* of normalcy, which I will explain later. Based on the limited photos, one could suggest correcting the convexity of the nose, and creating a straight line to the tip, or the slightest concavity.  There seems to be quite a bit of projection at the tip which could be corrected as well.  However, when I talk of the subtlety of normalcy, this is a nuanced issue.  Your ethnicity and bone structure must, in my opinion, be taken into account when dealing with "creating" a new nose.  What might look good on someone else's face might look very inappropriate or odd on yours.  This is why it is important to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  Please do your research, and find someone with years of experience who can spend time with you during a private consultation, because the choice of nose you want in a rhinoplasty will be one of the biggest decisions you make in your life. 

I think that you need to be seen in person and be examined and review your goals. I can not see too much from your limited view of your nose without seeing your entire face.

Getting the Perfect Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty, also known as a nose job, is a procedure with hundreds of potential small maneuvers that come together to bring change to a nose. In your case, a rhinoplasty could enhance the aesthetic of your nose. You should have a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. In my office, I use virtual imaging to communicate what is possible during surgery to make sure that the patient and I have a shared vision for the outcome. As rhinoplasty is such a delicate procedure that rests on these micro-judgements, I would strongly advise to choose your surgeon carefully.
Best of luck from Manhattan.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD