When can I expect to have fat and slight jowls back after necklift?

I did not want full neck lift but I received a very tight lift to my neck. My problem area was my facial skin that had started drooping before its time. I wish to have fat back under my jaw etc. How long does it take to return? I weigh about 120 pounds. My neck looks unnatural since it has too little fat. Would fat injections help?

Jowls & Fat Back After Necklift

Thank you for your question you should see some skin laxity over the next few months, therefore the neck looking more natural.  If liposuction to the neck has been carried out and then neck tightening the fat has been removed therefore would only return if weight was gained.  90% of my patient will always undergo facelift and neck lift together to achieve a natural result, leaving patients with continuity.  When patients do have only facelift or neck lift singular, then it can highlight more, imperfections in other areas. Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.

All The Best 

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. You are in the early stages of healing. Please remain patient and follow recovery instructions and you should find some laxity in your neck area by the 2-4 week post-op mark. Please keep your board certified facial plastic surgeon updated with your progress.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

When can I expect to have fat and slight jowls back after neck lift? = did you need a facelift to start with? #necklift #neck

Neck lift usually includes liposuction of the submental area. Fat that is removed from a body area usually doesn't come back unless the patients becomes significantly overweight ( the fat doesn't technically come back but gets fatter).

In many cases, patients that need a neck lift, very often requires a facelift at the same time ( to achieve a natural result). If a neck lift is performed alone when a facelift is needed, the face may admire an "non-natural" appearance since the "rejuvenated" neck doesn't match the "old face". Therefore, a facelift or at least fat transfer to the face ( if candidate) might be necessary to achieve the normal "natural" face and neck result. 

John Mesa, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated. Depending on the timing since your surgery I would recommend allowing your results to mature as you will see some return of normal skin laxity and movement that may not be evident now due to tissue swelling.  If it has been at least 6 months since surgery you can revisit with your surgeon to discuss methods of improvement which can include fat grafting.  Hope this helps.

Probably fat was removed during the lift procedure. Fat transfer can definitely be performed after face lift. I strongly encourage fat transfer to be done in almost all my patients.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat injections

Thank you for your question. Yes, a fat transfer is a great option to restore and add volume to your jawline.  I perform this procedure under local anesthetic and typically harvest the fat from the thigh or abdomen. This is a topic I have lectured on and taught other cosmetic surgeons this technique.  

Please feel free to call my office with questions or concerns. 

Dr. Ariel Ostad MD PC 

Ariel Ostad, MD