Can excess skin be prevented following weight loss surgery?

I am a 31 year old female considering bariatric surgery (gastric sleeve). I'm 5'9 and need to lose 40kg (88lb). One of the factors making me nervous about the surgery is I'm really concerned about excess skin. I was wondering what percentage of patients have excess skin after they reach their goal weight? And also whether there anything that I can do to prevent it? Many thanks Clare

Saggy skin

There's nothing worse than working your way through a diet only to end up with skin that hangs. Unfortunately, it's a common byproduct of weight loss. 
The issue of loose skin begins long before any weight loss occurs. Instead, it starts when a large amount of weight is gained. When you gain weight, your skin's surface area increases to accommodate the new fat tissue (which is why "stretch marks" sometimes occur).
While your fat cells shrink when that weight is lost, you still retain the same surface area. The new void under the larger surface area creates a layer of skin that may "hang," because there is less tissue underneath taking up space. This is what's known as loose or "sagging" skin.
Maintaining or increasing muscle tissue is the key to minimizing loose skin. Remember, the phenomenon occurs when the underlying layers of tissue shrink under a much large surface area. If muscle mass is lost in addition to fat, it creates an even larger void under your skin's surface. On the other hand, increasing lean tissue fills the area underneath the skin, keeping it taut.
Similar to the reasons above, incorporating strength training will allow you to maintain more muscle mass, or even build muscle if you're relatively new to this type of regimen. In your first year of resistance training, you may actually be able to build up to 20 to 25 rounds of muscle. (This will likely be less if you're dieting, given that a caloric deficit is not the optimum conditions for building muscle.)

Goog luck!

Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon