Is having elevated thyroid antibodies considered a thyroid problem?
Doctor Answers 1
Thyroid disease before DR surgery
- Yes, thyroid auto-antibodies suggest that since your last test you have developed a possible thyroid disorder.
- Your DR plastic surgeon says you need an endocrinologist to check you -
- That is what you should do.
- It is possible that you have developed Hashimoto's thyroiditis - and may need monitoring of thyroid function before and after your surgery.
- Please be aware that the DR is reported to have significant problems with respect to elective surgery.
- Be particularly careful if your surgeon is not ABMS Board Certified in Plastic Surgery.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS