Would it be economically wiser for a patient to pay for Kybella per vial or per treatment session?

I'm very interested in reducing my double chin and believe that Kybella is my best, minimally/non-invasive, route. However, since multiple sessions would be needed, the procedure cost is a major deciding factor on which physician I'll go with. I've noticed that some physicians charge per vial while others charge per treatment session. I really, really what to get rid of the double chin, but can't afford to just disregard cost efficiency. Any input or advice on this would be appreciated!

Cost of Kybella

Thank you for your question.  The manufacuters of Kybella sell the product to the providers by the vial.  Some practices will sell the product by the vial.  Others will charge by the treatment and may have different prices depending on the number of vials required for each treatment.  Regardless of the differing practices of pricing, I would recommend that you go to an experienced provider who can discuss a variety of options/alternatives such as the Coolsculpting Mini, Profound SubQ, or even surgery.  Also, there is a range of skill levels for Kybella injections (much like other Injectables) so it is important that visit with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who has an understanding of the underlying anatomy and experience in treating the double chin region.

Kybella & Cost

I would suggest that you go with the injector with the most experience. I completely agree that cost must be a consideration, but I find that skill always brings down cost. Also, since Kybella is a permanent solution, it is a one time cost. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Cost

When choosing a physician to inject your face it is most important to find one based on their experience and qualifications. Kybella is a permanent injection and during your consultation you will find out the exact cost.  An average area will require two vials and if your have a larger treatment area you may require more.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella is effective, but needs 3 sessions

We tell our patients, if you can't do 3 sessions, don't bother doing 1. Best results are seen following three treatments in our practice. Women generally need 2 vials per session or 6 total, if you complete the recommended 3 visits. Our charges reflect the amount of Kybella used. We recommend that patients don't 'lowball' their face to the lowest cost clinic, as you're more likely to have problems or issues with volume based clinics. Find a reputable doctor with a good reputation, even if it costs a little more. Best,

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella cost

This is a very common question.  I personally charge by treatment. The volume of each vial is not significant, it is just the way that the company packaged it.  I think sometimes patients are attracted to advertisements which show a very low price per vial, but they don't realize that they will need several vials and it will actually be the same price (or even more) than just getting a "treatment session".  Kybella should be thought of as a procedure and not a treatment like Botox.  The point of the procedure is to treat to correction the appearance of submental fullness.  In my opinion, the amount of product used is not as important as the skill and knowledge of the person doing the injection.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Kybella Cost

As Kybella costs are based on quantity, it is tough to say what a patient would require without seeing them. Pricing varies from clinic to clinic as the manufacturer, Allergan, does not set the prices for individual practices. Often, clinics will have their own bundling models. If price is a priority for you in selecting a clinic, I would suggest that you find out how much product you require and then you have a means of comparison.

Hello Mizubi,

You would really need to consult with a few people to determine what is the best option for you.  I charge by the vial so that the patient knows they are getting what they paid for.  In my opinion, by charging by the area this means most patients will be overcharged and a few undercharged.  Both treatment options do exist though.  You may even consider a surgery if your biggest concern is cost.  

I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who does his or her own injections so you can find out about the injectable and surgical options for that area.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Swelling -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

In my practice we do kybella as a set price per treatment and do as much product as needed.  Economically its much better to do liposuction.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella

Thank you for your question in regards to Kybella. Pricing will vary from office to office. Depending on how many vials you need per treatment will affect your cost. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Kybella etc

Without pics is very hard to answer, as a double chin can be caused from a variety of reasons and its important to treat the proper cause.  For example, one's chin may be recessed and then it appears as a double chin, one can have excess fat deposits, lax skin etc... So kybella may not be right unless you fit the proper criterion.  It's expensive and requires 1-3 treatments spread apart by 30 days to allow the skin to respond to the dissolved fat.  In a nutshell, you need the proper surgeon to access your anatomy to get the best procedure in order to achieve the best results.  Don't waste your money, make certain it's the right procedure first.  I would recommend a plastic surgeon to evaluate you prior to choosing a product.

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon