Are doctors required to take a special course for administering voluma in order to purchase?

i had a horrible experience with voluma. My plastic surgeon, an ENT cant dissolve it or remember where he misplaced it. I am having a hard time believing he took the allergan course. I called allergan and they said that in order to purchase voluma drs need to take a course. i wanted to find out who purchased the product based on the lot number and they were uncooperative. They told me i would need an order number to find out. are drs required to take the course in order to purchase voluma?

Experience & Voluma Results

Yes, in order to get Voluma, you need to go through training, but training isn't experience or an artistic eye. And excellent results depend on both which is why you should always see a board certified plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist for any filler or Botox. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Regulations in Australia for fillers...

In Australia the law is so lax, that the majority of the work in many 'Laser Clinics' and Cosmetic Clinics are carried out by nurses. A doctor is not even present, and the consult is done via Skype! In many cases the doctors don't even know what the box of filler looks like, yet alone done a course.Now some nurses are experienced, having worked under the guidance of doctors and trainers for many years- in fact my nurse is more experienced than me, having done even bovine fillers 20 years ago! The industry however has poor regulation standards, and the majority of nurses performing this procedure have only attended weekend courses. When something goes wrong, they consult the doctor via Skype, who then sends them off to see either a Plastics or Dermatologist. I have no issues with nurses or doctors performing fillers, but they need to be responsible to handle complications as well as perform the procedure. My 2 cents worth. I am sorry to hear about your experience, however the majority of HA filler complications can be resolved with time and experience. Dr Davin Lim Laser and aesthetic dermatologistBrisbane,Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Voluma Training

There is a training (at least when it launched) for any providers who wishes to use this product. Equally important is aesthetic sense/eye. Many providers inject into the cheek thinking that it will somehow magically lift the cheek. It requires appropriate amount only in certain areas. Provider should be able to tell you lot numbers easily if ordered directly from Allergan.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Course before ordering Voluma

Thank you for your question September girl. I am sorry to hear about your continued issues with your treatment. When Voluma was released a few years ago, before I was able to order the product I was required to take a master injector course where I learned about Voluma and how to inject it. Since then I have taken more courses and attended many seminars to learn more about its use. Each syringe of Voluma has a lot number. In our office we record this in the medical record for each treatment. However we have never had an issue where we needed to know the lot number. Please consult with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Voluma Training

Hi Septembergirl, I am a Voluma trainer for Allergan and my understanding is that every "account" the purchases this product from Allergan has to attend a training beforehand. But the training is just a few hours. It's more about how much experience a particular injector has with the product. So even if your injector is an ENT or a plastic surgeon, it comes down to how many clients he has treated with this product. I doubt you'll get a lot of info about the order number, lot number, but it may be good to get a second opinion about your injection, or even faster, you can post your before and afters here, covering up your eyes, and I'm sure lots of doctors, including me, can give you a second opinion. I've done nearly a thousand treatments using the Juvederm and Voluma family of products in the last year alone between my practices in NYC and Ohio.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Voluma training

This is a very good question. The short answer is yes, injectors are required to attend a training session in order to purchase Voluma. These training sessions typically last no longer than three hours. I am a Voluma trainer for Allergan, and have trained numerous injectors in the past. While these training sessions are helpful to introduce Voluma to trainees, it does not guarantee that injectors will have advanced knowledge and experience using the product. It is up to the injector to acquire the necessary training, typically with a formal residency and/or fellowship that is dedicated to aesthetics in addition to years of experience with Voluma. Unfortunately, many injectors have no formal training in aesthetics. It is true that there are some injectors who acquire the product from sources other than Allergan. If this is ever any question about this, I would ask for the lot number of the product. If a patient called our office for this information, we would gladly provide this for them.  

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma - doctor doesn't seem to know what he's doing.

Thank you for asking about your Voluma.
  • Allergan does give basic training in the use of its products.
  • But it rightly assumes that those giving the treatments know what they are doing -
  • It is legal for all sorts of people with limited knowledge to do fillers.
  • Rather than trying to find if your ENT doctor bought the Voluma, I would concentrate on finding a plastic surgeon specializing in cosmetic treatments who can help you effectively.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Voluma training

Injector companies do require training by qualified injectors before products can be purchased.   Physicians who train other injectors have undergone additional training on how to teach injectors the science and art of appropriate injector techniques.  Sorry that you had trouble, but products like voluma can be dissolved in the result is not satisfying.

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your results with Voluma placement.  Allergan does require watching of a video in order to be able to use Voluma and does not allow physicians to order the product before signing off on having viewed it.  Hope this helps.

Voluma training

I believe Allergan requires injectors to attend a training; however, one training course is not a substitute for years of experience in injections, where one begins to understand the nuances of fillers and develop an artistic eye in facial aesthetics. I personally would not trust my face to someone without a fellowship in some type of aesthetic specialty. If you are currently dissatisfied with your experience, I suggest finding a plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist in your area for further evaluation. Hope this helps!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon