Why do doctors not inject the buccal fat pad or below the nose?

When I see the results of successful fat grafting to the face done by celebrities etc, it seems to me that fat is injected over the cheekbones, but the buccal fat pad and the area surrounding the lips (ie above the nose etc) still remains rather thin by comparison. Their buccal fat pad is very thick in their early 20's and then depletes dramatically by mid 30's. Does fat grafting just not survive there or do doctors not inject there.

Facial Fat Grafting

It is not uncommon to inject fat under the base of the nose and into the submalar (buccal) regions of the face. Like all fat injected areas of the face, fat survival is variable and unpredictable. The under the nose (paranasal) area does not have good fat survival in general. The malar and submalar facial areas do much better in that regard.

FAT transfer to the face - FAMI - Buccal fat pad

It exists a technique of fat transfer for ALL the facial features, and not only over the cheekbones, that give a natural look and not the Barbie look of some celebrities.FAMI technique is using mesenchymal stem cells from Fat and particularly SVF, (Stromal Vascular Fraction) and not "simply purified fat". The injections are made "deep" into muscles of facial expression and in the deep fat pads as the Bichat fat pads for surviving in contact of rich vessel plexus. The long-lasting results are real and after 18 years of practice. The best indications are well known now to avoid errors of indication.

FAMI is surgery without incision. Thanks to this anatomical precise procedure, corrections or rejuvenation can be performed without secondary procedure.After 18 years experience I can tell you that FAMI thanks to the technology and anatomical targets, is long lasting (virtually life time with no touch ups) and predictable,

Roger Amar, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer to the Face

fat grafting to the face is a great option to fill out depleted areas of the face in a natural fashion. Grafting to the buccaneers fat pad region is an option when needed. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Fat injection

I place fat where it is needed.  If the cheeks are hollow, then I will inject fat in that region.  Not specifically int eh buccal fat pad itself but in the vicinity.

Fat grafting

Hello and thank you for your question. The selected areas for facial fat grafting depend on the patient's individual anatomy, so this is a bit challenging to answer in this forum. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD