Why don't doctors want to inject Botox into my chin?

I have dimpling in my chin from a scarred mentalis. I have seen 2 plastic surgeons and they told me to wait before injecting any botox. Why?

Botox in the Chin area

Botox is a fabulous injection and I often do Botox in the chin area as well. Sometimes I need to combine Botox with Juvederm or Restylane in that area to achieve a more balanced look if the chin is receded.  The Botox in the chin area serves to smooth out the lines.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic facial injections.

Botox in chin

perhaps the physicians you saw were not that experienced with injecting that area.  Remember, great plastic surgeons usually spend most of their time doing surgery, not doing injections,  I recommend you find a cosmetic dermatologist who spends most of her/his day injecting to get another opinion.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin dimpling

If you have chin dimpling from overactive muscle function, then Botox could help. If it is scar related, then it is unlikely to help.

Botox chin

Thank you for your question.  Because of the scar tissue you have there, the botox will be ineffective.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD

Botox for #Dimpled Chin

If the dimpling becomes more prominent when you animate the mentalist muscle (look in the mirror and try to lift your chin upward and forward), Botox should help. 

We often use Botox around a scar to keep it from spreading or becoming thick and raised (hypertrophic or keloidal), so I am not certain why you would have been told it was contraindicated.

An in-person evaluation by a dermatologist who is an advanced injector should answer these questions for you.  If I were you, I might also ask for clarification from the doctors who gave you this advice.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Botox works great for a dimpled chin

We do frequently use Botox to treat a dimpled chin from an over-active mentalis muscle and from the dimpling seen after chin implants. There must be another reason that two physicians have told you to wait. Itis possible that they are not familiar with that technique. Find a facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist who performs many injections for another opinion. It certainly would not hurt to try the injections and luckily it requires a very small dose, as well.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

I am not sure why your plastic surgeons said no.  This is not an unusual requests.   Patients with dimpling in the chin respond well to Botox.

Botox works great in chin

Botox works great in chin area and I use it there all the time.  The dimpled areas we get with age are caused by fat loss and then you see the muscles ripple about.  Botox quiets the muscles and the chin is smooth.  My Best.  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

It is part of my standard injection pattern. Botox or dysport in the chin minimizes the dimples caused by animation and is very safe. Most likely the person you asked before has never done it.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

This is a straight forward procedure in experienced hands. It sounds like you've had a recent surgery or trauma to your chin and I suspect they are recommending that you need additional time for the scarring to mature. If that's not the case, I recommend you seek a third opinion and search for a physician injector, preferably one who trains other physicians on Botox and fillers. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon