Are there doctors that will do breast implants on a male that wants to stay a male ?

Male Breast Implants

Breast implants work well in a male whether they are transgender or are remaining a male in every other aspect. The critical question is what type of breast implants and size you want to be. 

It is possible

You can have the surgery. You should have realistic expectations and know that this is a surgical procedure that can be reversed -- but does require more surgery. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

The short answer is yes as long as the patient is healthy. While the surgery is essentially the same there are some differences. Male patients tend to have broader chests with nipples set farther apart. A broader implant often makes more sense, but will not change the nipple position. Pectoral muscle push implants outward over time and this may be magnified in the genetically male patient. There will be less droop or sagging down the road because there is less natural breast volume, so the patient may look more "Implanty".

In my own practice I always have to feel the what I am doing is right for the patient. I find two categories of of patients who consider this surgery. 

1) The transgender patient for whom this a mature and comfortable decision. 

2) The sexually confused teenager.

Number one is usually clear to me. Number two is harder and I may recommend further evaluation  prior to surgery to be sure the decision is right for the patient.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. In the appropriate patient, this is possibe.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast implants on a male that wants to stay a male ?

I have had the opportunity to work with several men interested in breast implants ( to feminize the chest wall).  This is a different situation from trans gender patients in transition and from men who are looking to augment their chest walls ( pectoralis implants).

Nevertheless, this subset of patients is somewhat uncommon;  it is very important to  understand patient motivation clearly and to educate  these patients about the long-term effects of having  feminized chest walls.

Breast Augmentation - Male - Finding A Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Finding the proper surgeon is critical to the success of your breast augmentation procedure. You need to find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specializes in body contouring procedures. The ASPS website will provide a list of properly trained surgeons in your area. You should go on several consultations and see who you like best. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work. Hope this helps.