How do I know if a doctor has enough experience doing masseter reduction Botox?

I'm interested in doing masseter reduction Botox. The plastic surgeon I spoke to is very experienced in general, but says he does this procedure about three or four times a year. Since it's a relatively uncommon procedure, what is considered a lot of experience? One a day? one a week?

Masseter Botox

Dear Susan,

Masseter Botox injection is quite common for physicians that are injecting Botox all the time. We use it to shape the face and, to reduce tension in the jaw. It's a very simple procedure. Please consult an expert!

Dr. Morgan

Experience with Botox for Masseter Reduction in NYC

Dear Susan, Thank you for posting your interesting question. I recommend that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced with Botox injections for Masseter muscle hypertrophy and can show you many before and after photographs of their results. Your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon should perform Botox injections to the masseter muscles several times a month, easily asses if you are a good candidate and can identify your hypertrophied masseter muscles. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Botox and Masseter Muscle

Depending on your patient population Botox in the masseter muscle is a common practice with facial slimming.  I do a great deal of Botox in all of these areas and it is best to consult an expert with these cosmetic injections.  Best, Dr. Green

When in Doubt--See an expert: botox for the masseter

I can't speak to your practitioner, but experience and technique is key in getting this injection done correctly for great results. Don't let distance dissuade you from seeing an expert for best results. Best, Dr. Emer

How much experience is needed to inject masseters?

Not much- the masseters are one of the easiest muscles to inject. The difficulty is knowing how much to put in and most injectors base this on muscle mass (how big the muscle is). If you have large muscles, it is best to start with about 30 units of Botox or about 80 units of Dysport. When I inject, I like the patient to clench so I can see and feel the muscle and thereby have a better chance of getting into the active areas.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Masseter injection with Botox experience

I've been doing this since 1994. It isn't a hard procedure to master but if done improperly, can lead to smiling difficulties. You just have to have confidence in who is doing the procedure. There is no way to prove competence with this injection.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Masseter botox

Hello and thank you for your question. This can be very effective in the right patient.  The botox must be injected into the hypertrophic masseter muscle.  If done properly, you can have a great result.  And yes, it is best to go to a surgeon who frequently performs this.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Experienced injector?

There is no magic number of how many procedures make an expert, because if it is being done poorly it can be done a 1000 times and still look bad.  If he has pictures see those

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist