What to ask a doctor about Botox?

I'm getting Botox from a new place, a medusa that had a special on Groupon. I know about the risks of some of these places, but I'm also low on cash right now. So my questions are: Should I ask the doctor to see the Botox's expiration date? Should I ask about dilution? Should I ask about the credentials of the injector? Is all this fine to ask and what would be the grounds to not do it if something seems out of place?

No Matter the Question, There's No Safety Guarantee at a Spa

All of those are good questions, but that doesn't mean you are going to get honest answers. Groupon is a fee-splitting online retailer. Many "spas" use counterfeit BOTOX, and the injectors are novices. You will have a much safer and better experience getting treated by a board-certified plastic surgeon who knows the anatomy and the safest, best sites for injecting the BOTOX. Remember that you get what you pay for, and trying to save a few dollars could lead to a medical disaster. Kudos to you for doing your research, and best wishes.

Expert Injector needed

These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Botox and Price

Botox is an art and you are paying not just for the Botox but the experience of the Botox injector.  Counterfeit Botox is a real problem that my other colleagues have described.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.

Botox - Always research your injector

Based on your question, I assume that you have previous experience with botox and already expect a certain result and quality of the procedure. You should be aware that although you could be on a limited budget, potential complications from the cosmetic procedure performed could be more costly that paying for botox injections with a reputable physician. Afterall, you should realize that there is variability of results depending on technique, type of botox preparation used (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin), dilution/reconstitution of product, etc. 

1. Even if you bought a special Groupon deal, there must be a clause that can allow you to either refund the procedure or utilize the funds towards something else in that clinic - for example you could use it to buy a skincare product. 
2. You should always have a consultation prior to your treatment with the treating physician or nurse injector. At that point you should ask all of the questions including their experience, credentials, number of procedures performed, opportunity to follow-up, etc. Although botox has become a very common procedure, complications can still happen and you need to be comfortable that you will be taken care of if any adverse effects were to happen. 
3. Remember that sometimes it's better to avoid doing the treatment if you are not comfortable with your injector and risk losing that prepaid deposit than suffer the possibility of negative consequences and complications (infection, bruising, brow ptosis, etc). 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

What to ask a doctor about Botox?

I suggest that you ask for the injectors credentials to be sure that he is qualified to be injecting, then ask what the dilution is.

Thank you for your question!

Kate Ross, MD

Kate Ross, MD
Bradenton Dermatologic Surgeon

I agree with " You get what you pay for."

The risks FAR outweigh the benefits when price shopping for discount Botox. You should have any procedures performed by a board certified physician who has experience, track record and a good reputation. 

Botox you get what you pay for

I would highly suggest you find a board certified Dermatologist or Plastic surgeon in your area who injects Botox and charges per unit, not per area.  This way you will have a qualified injector and only pay for what you are using. Too many times clients are being charged per area and end up paying for more units than they use.
For example some clients only require 10 units of Botox for the Frontalis/ forehead, while other may need 30 or more. Paying per unit can help you to save money without compromising your treatment by using unqualified
providers.

Tina Venetos, MD
Lake Forest Dermatologist

GROUPON

Would you purchase chemotherapy on groupon? It doesn't matter what you ask, as there is no guarantee you will get an honest answer. expiration date? dilution rate? the reason why some of these places do it so cheaply is because they use illegal, counterfeit Botox and novice nurse injectors. Questions will not protect you. I strongly advise against any place that will rest to fee splitting with groupon to get clients for prescriptive medical procedures such as neuromodulator treatment. The use of the term "medical director" in medspas is completely perverted. Medical director is a non-clinical position for policy and compliance and organizational leadership. Any doctor who signs up as a "medical director" and is hired by a nurse or esthetician so that they perform medical procedures and the "medical director" never sees the patients, is guilty of aiding and abetting the unlicensed practice of medicine and contributes to continued erosion of public's confidence in physicians. If the medspa is not owned and operated by the physician and is not that physician's medical practice, stay away.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox on Groupon

I concur with all the other comments.  You bought a service not knowing who is going to inject you, their credentials, whether the product has been purchased from the US manufacturer or authorized vendor, all simply based on price. You can certainly ask to see the expiration date.  Counterfeit Botox is so deceptively packaged that you will not be able to tell the difference. Over dilution is an easy way to stretch the product out, produce poor effects but sell Groupons at bargain basement prices.  From the title of the facility, I would be quite surprised if you are going to see and be injected by a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Questions about Botox injection

Here are my top 5 questions:
1.  When was the Botox reconstituted?  When was it mixed?  Probably needs to be reconstituted within 24-48 hours for the best results.
2.  What happens if the Botox doesn't work?  Occasionally, we all get a dud vial that just doesn't work.  Frequently, that doesn't happen very often. 
3.  Who is the medical director?   Ask to see his/her credentials. 
4.  Who is performing the injection?   Doctor, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, nurse, etc..   Would make certain that a medical professional is injecting the Botox.
5.  How many Botox procedures are performed in the medspa on a weekly/monthly basis?

Final suggestion:   Check out the practice's online reviews.   Are people happy with their procedures?   Or, are people complaining?  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon