My Doc put Perlane onto my cheekbone & not into the skin. Any suggestions?

He says it will probably last 6-8 months. Is this correct? Would it have lasted longer if placed into my skin rather than against the bone? I understand that using it at the level of the bone is not what it's designed for, so I wonder if the longevity of the result is in anyway affected? Also, I'm impressed with how firm it feels, but I guess I will not benefit from associated collagen stimulation from repeated filler use if it is just placed onto my cheekbones?

Lyft for Cheeks

Restylane-Lyft (previously known as Perlane) is absolutely used for cheek augmentation and gives beautiful results!  Proper injection technique is, when possible, to inject product on top of the bone.  This will ensure maximum "lift" of the product and definition to your cheeks.  Sounds like your provider did the correct thing.  Hope this helps.  

Radiesse for augmentation of the cheekbones

Thank you for your Q.

My product of choice for augmenting the cheeks over the bones is Radiesse.

Perlane can be used but less effectively.

Dr Karamanoukian

Perlane for cheekbone augmentation--how deep

Although perlane is technically a dermal filler it can be used at a deeper level in certain areas.  The injection of perlane deep into the cheeks is actually a nice way to enhance the cheek without looking unnatural.  Generally Radiesse is a better option in that area, as you can accomplish more volume with less product. However perlane will do a nice job, and should last between 8-11 months.  

Brent Birely, MD

The firmer the filler, the deeper the placement

The time line is correct. Firmer fillers like Perlane or Voluma are placed deeply since they don't have the same softness as other fillers. That firmness makes them more suitable in providing a firm volume increase...especially in the cheekbone area or around the chin.

Firm fillers placed too superficially will not feel natural and may not "move" the same as natural skin and that is why they are injected at a deeper level. They tend to be more for volume support.

Associated collagen stimulation is not particularly evident with hyaluronic fillers. You will see collagen stimulation with Sculptra and to a much lesser degree Radiesse.

Voluma tends to be more expensive than Perlane (rebranded this past year as Restylane Lyft) but has studies indicating more longevity.

The younger you are, the longer a filler tends to provide effect since your own collagen breakdown is not high. As you age, natural collagen breakdown increases and collagen production decreases.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD