What is the difference between smartlipo and regular lipo?

What's the difference between the two and can the fat from smart lipo be transferred to other parts of the body

SmartLipo Versus Regular Liposuction

Smartlipo is a brand name of a laser liposuction step in your liposuction procedure.  Also true liposuction procedure involve sucking out fat.  The Smartlipo step is a pretreatment with the laser fiber under your skin to help melt the fat and stimulate the skin for tightening prior to sucking out the fat.  The surgeon then proceeds to suck out the fat either with traditional liposuction or, as I prefer, power-assisted liposuction.  The advantage of the power assisted liposuction is that it gets more fat out while maximizing a smooth contour and using the same small incisions as with a Smartlipo cannula. 

Good Luck

Smart Liposuction

Smartlipo started out as a brand of laser.  But over the years it has evolved into smart liposuction.  This has many components to include tumescent anesthesia, microcannulas, laser liposuction, superficial liposuction, power assisted liposuction, open drainage and compression.  The appropriate use of these techniques by a skilled and experienced surgeon of any specialty, will give you excellent results with little downtime.  Liposuction is more of an art than a science, and these skills can be taught but not the artistic eye.  It is important to ask your surgeon if he uses all of these techniques and to scrutinize his reviews and photos.

Lawrence Broder, MD
Cedar Park Family Physician

Smart lipo is identical to tumescent lipo with an extra step added in

Both procedures involve the administration of numbing fluid into the fat and the suctioning of the fat with standard lipo cannulas. Smart lipo adds an extra step between these two during which the laser fiber is passed through the fat near the skin to promote skin shrinkage. Lasered fat is cooked (dead fat cells) so when fat needs to be collected for injection to other parts of the body, the fat to be injected is collected first.

Differences

Hello. Regular liposuction does not involve the use of a laser for destroying fat cells (as is done with Smartlipo). Smartlipo is also used to tighten skin by heating the skin in a controlled fashion. Collagen deposition results in tighter skin. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Liposuction Techniques -- SmartLipo Laser, Vaser Ultrasound, Body Jet Water

I suggest you go to an expert. I find that the combination of water and ultrasound (VASER) gives the best hi definition result. I think laser does very little for the ultimate outcome.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Smart lipo vs regular

Smart lipo offers easier, gentler removal of fat with the benefit of skin tightening over regular liposuction. Many body parts can be treated with better results and recovery, using laser to melt the fat and tighten the skin. 

Smart lipo fat cannot be grafted - for that, we use Vaser ultrasound liposuction which works similar to smart lipo, but allows for excellent fat grafting/ transfer. Vaser treats many body parts effectively and with easier recovery as well.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.