Why did voluma in the buccal area disappear?

i had one and a half voluma injection on one side of the buccal area where there was asymmetry. the voluma all disappeared. So i went to another dr who put juvederm ultra and shaped the asymmetrical side. he said he had to inject it at different levels of the skin. what happened? was the voluma injected too deep?

Voluma Injections in the Buccal Area

Thanks for your question, and sorry you have had such issues. The first thing that you need to be sure of is that you are having your injections done by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon or a skilled injector working in one of these offices and who has learned the nuances of Voluma injections. We use Voluma, Perlane, Radiesse and Sculptra for volume loss, and if there was asymmetry in your mid-face, then using Voluma is certainly a good option. Voluma is injected deep and it would be interesting to know when you went to the next person to have more filler injected. If this was in the first two weeks or so, I might have had advised you to wait to see what might have happened with the product before having more filler placed.

Again, the skill level of the injector is the key here – find the best one in your area.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma in the buccal area

Voluma is an excellent product for treating the buccal area (lower cheek). Depending on the degree of hollowness 1 to 2 syringes per side is typically required.  Voluma has been engineered to last for up to two years and is FDA approved for facial augmentation.  

I not sure why your Voluma did not last, and I question if it was placed in the correct layers or if was truly Voluma.  The attached link provides more information and a before and after photo to help better illustrate the results achievable with Voluma.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Voluma disspears

Thank you for your question. Filler can be injected too deep and in which case the difference is not noticeable. In some places a deep injection is required.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Voluma and proper placement

Voluma is a great mid face filler that lasts for about a year.  The original study showing two years duration was when the patient was injected with 6 and a half syringes of Voluma.  If you had photos it would be possible to tell you realistically how many syringes were needed and the correction needed.  I am not sure if you needed more Voluma or placement was an issue.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with facial injections including Voluma.