Could dermal fillers improve chicken pox scars even if it's only a little?

I've had two chicken pox scars on my forehead since I was three years old. They are not especially big or bad looking so I don't want to run the risks any surgical procedure could have. I was told by a doctor that fillers such as hyaluronic acid would leave them looking raised like bumps, but I wonder if any positive outcome could be achieved in the right hands with the right filler. I don't need them to disappear, just to improve, and I don't care having to get fillers touched up frecuently.

Filler for pox scars?

Hello, and thanks for your question. Without a photo, it's difficult to recommend a specific treatment plan. The short answer is yes, but depending on the appearance you may benefit more from subcision, lasers, or a combination of therapies in order to achieve the best outcome. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermal Fillers and Chicken Pox Scars

I regularly fill in scars with dermal fillers.  It is an excellent way to improve scars and help with the appearance of acne scars.  Please consult an expert in acne scars.  Best, Dr. Green

In general, chicken pox scars do not fill as well as depressed acne scars after dermal filler treatments.

Consider re asking your question with a photo of your forehead. The bases of some chicken pox scars are difficult to raise with fillers. Overcorrection may result in a donut appearance. 

Chicken pox scars may be treated with fillers for conservative improvement, depending on your examination. Our experience is mostly with Silicon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results. Hope this helps. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Certainly

the key word in your question is a little. Chickenpox scars stand out for two main reasons, one the circular shape of the scar itself and two, the indent that is left which catches light and casts a shadow. Of course the second issue of contour can of course be addressed by fillers, alas just not the first.

The good news is that very little filler is needed to get the required effect so there isn't much to be lost by trying it. Laser resurfacing improves scar slightly by lower the level of the normal skin to improve the indent, fillers raise the level of the indented scar to the same effect. Hope that helps

Adam Goodwin