Depressed about how my tummy tuck looks like. (photos)

I'm very depressed about how my tummy tuck looks like. I'm hating my belly button, you can see the bad scaring around it and my doctor pretends that looks amazing. And I got a new scar in my breast line because he made a nod that almost passed through my skin and had to open my skin to cut it out. What should I do? Does it look like professionally done?

Healing Period of Scars after Tummy Tuck

You should know some of the basic information I provide my patients about the scarring process of the tummy tuck:

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

If you find yourself completely worried about the length of time it is taking for your scars to soften and heal then it would be best to visit your surgeon to have the area examined for proper healing. Given the fact that your surgeon knows your case the best they would be able to provide the most detailed supportive information to help with your scar. Good luck!

Belly button following a tummy tuck

When one has a tummy tuck procedure, it is a good opportunity for the surgeon to fashion a belly button that looks aesthetically pleasing. It is very unfortunate that you have ended up with the belly button that you have at the moment after your surgery. I would like to reassure you that your belly button can be revised to look much better than it is at the moment. If your doctor says that it looks 'amazing' then you need to put him behind you and find a board certified plastic surgeon who you can trust to do a good job. 

Belly button revision

I am so sorry that you are upset with your results. My best advice would be to discuss a revision of your belly button with your surgeon, but wait for at least 6 months post your tummy tuck until everything is completely healed. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Post op abdominoplasty

Did you have a hernia repair with the tuck or at some point in the past? You should definitely follow up with your surgeon. At some point you may discuss scar revision with them.

You may eventually want a revison to your umbilicus. It would be interesting to see your preops......

Depressed about how my tummy tuck looks like.

Without pre-op photos, it's difficult to give th best response. Scar quality is very unpredictable, but usually improves overtime.The bellybutton has an  irregular shape which with a revision- can be improved. 

Tummy tuck

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss  your options for a belly button scar revision.

Umbilical Scar Concerns

Thank you for your question and photos. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment. You could discuss having a revision to your belly button after 6 months healing.

All the best