Damaged, crepey skin under the eyes. What treatments can I use? Is Fraxel recommended?

8 months ago i had a laser burn under the eyes (dr used bbl on a black bruise). i used medlight and natural whitening creams (cant use hq. or retinol as they are irritating) pih is 80% better but i have broken capillaries and my skin is crepey. if i put make up it looks darker. what treatments can i use? is fraxel recommended? or if peels, what kind?

Treatments for Under Eyes

Thank you for your question. It is best recommended to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist for best treatment plan. Broken capillaries can be treated with a YAG 1064, hydrating under eye area will help with the lines in combination of CO2 or Fraxel. And wearing daily SPF 30 with zinc. I hope this helps!

Laser resurfacing for damaged skin under the eyes

Yes, Fraxel helps with this problem. Laser resurfacing in general does a remarkable job to help lift and tighten the under eyes in certain patients. Another recommendation is a CO2 laser resurfacing, depending on how aggressive we would need to be. Peels can provide some benefit in mild cases.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Under Eye Winkles and Best Treatment

Many patients have wrinkles under the eyes and this is usually the first sign of aging.  Your question sounds as if you had a burn and now have increased capillary fragility.  To treat the blood vessels you can use a pulsed dye laser and this will markedly reduce those vessels.  However, since you had a burn I would not recommend that you have Fraxel to that area.  The eMatrix is a color- blind laser and is best treated to this eye area, especially when there is already a history such as you have experienced.  It takes 3 treatments scheduled one month apart for the best results.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with these lasers for the best cosmetic results. 

Under eye treatment

IPL uses light energy that is focused on darker areas as well as vessels and that is how it improves and evens out skin tone. It is not uncommon to get hyperpigmentation if you are exposed to the sun after you had IPL treatment. It is called inflammatory hyperpigmentation and is usually treated early and aggressively with topical treatment such as a topical steroid hydroquinone. If your doctor is not able to treat this problem, seek out another expert in this area but hyperpigmentation can happen and does not have to be the result of a burn.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cutera Laser Treatment For Broken Capillaries

Thank you for your question. I use Cutera laser treatment for broken capillaries. Broken capillaries appear as red, bruise-like spots on the skin, which can occur anywhere on the body, but they are particularly noticeable on the face. Capillaries, are tiny veins under the surface of the skin that are very delicate and can break easily. It is important that your skin condition is properly diagnosed as broken capillaries before proceeding with any treatment. Other skin complications can sometimes look like broken capillaries, but can be an indication of a bigger problem. During the examination, the doctor will look at your skin and review your medical history in order to recommend the best treatment possible. I advise you to speak with a dermatologist before considering a specific treatment. 

Ariel Ostad, MD

Madonna Lift

As we age, the skin around our eyes becomes thin and wrinkled. The procedure I most often recommend to help patients age gracefully in this area is known as the Madonna Lift. This procedures treats around the entire eye with CO2 Laser, which is great for skin resurfacing; smoothing the texture, evening the pigment and stimulating collagen in the treated area(s). The Madonna Lift is performed in a series of 3-5 treatments. I would consult with a qualified physician for a comprehensive consultation. Good luck! 

Bruce E. Katz, MD