Will my crooked smile go away? (photos)

Got in pretty bad fight and it ended with my and a black eye, and after a while i realized that when i talk, the left side of my lip does not raise. Its been about two months now and it looks really strange when i talk. Is this permanent? Does this require attention?

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. You may be experiencing swelling from the incident that has caused your lips some temporary damage, or there may be more permanent damage. It is difficult to diagnose without examining your lips so I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will my crooked smile go away?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  I am sorry to hear of your fight and resultant lip issues.  It appears that the punch that caused your black eye may have also caused a bruise to the nerve responsible for moving your left upper lip.  Though this typically resolves spontaneously over a 6-8 week period of time it may take up to 6 months. I would recommend making an appointment with a plastic surgeon or ENT doctor to help manage your recovery and to assess the need for any treatment now to help your symptoms.  Best wishes. 

Lip nerve injury

Hard to say without physical exam, but if there was no facial laceration or fracture of facial bones, then you probably have what is called neuropraxia, which is a temporary injury to the nerve, causing your crooked smile. While it should get better with time, You should be checked out anyway, Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD