Can counterrotation after Rhinoplasty relieve a collapsed sidewall?

I was derotated around a tip graft holding my lower lateral cartilages together. The left cartilage derotated due to being knocked very hard in the face. I know that's what happened b/c the tip now points left & I no longer have an alar crease there. When I pull my nasal tip to the right, the pain is relieved a little. My tip hooks down when I smile on the left side, too, so I know I've permanently changed the shape of my nose. Will rotating the left cartilage back inward help?

Rhinoplasty Revision Surgery

Without a photo, it is impossible to tell you anything specific about your situation. However, with post-surgical trauma or unfavorable scarring within the nose, it is possible that the nose has changed position from the ideal shape. It is worth revising your situation with your physician in person to get a more formal opinion. 

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned. Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

MarinAesthetics.com

Rhinoplasty And Trauma

This is definitely the kind of question that will require an in-person examination. You can have deformity of your nose following trauma due to displacement of previous graphs, injury to existing cartilage, or fracture of the cartilage. Without an exam there is no way to be certain. Most likely you will require an additional surgery to correct the damage done by the trauma. I would suggest making a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and allow them to review your previous rhinoplasty and your current condition. Only then will you have a carefully informed opinion and a good plan on how to proceed. Best of luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD
Lawrenceville Plastic Surgeon