Correcting tuberous breasts with expanders. How long until I get implants?

Hi! I will be getting surgery to correct my tuberous breasts by using tissue expanders before actual implants due to the severity of the deformity and lack of breast tissue that I have. Ultimately I want about 275cc implants. About how long will I have to have the tissue expanders in for?

Tuberous Breasts/Asymmetry

Thank you for your question. When necessary, tissue expanders can be placed for a few months to achieve desired expansion. Alternately, constricted breast tissue can often be expanded with radial scoring, areola reduction/lift and placement of silicone gel implants in the sub mammary position to fill out the newly created shape. I recommend that you meet with more than one board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options before choosing your plan.
All the best

Tissue expanders and breast surgery

In general, expanders are placed and expanded until the final volume is achieved or slightly more.  This may be a few months.

No tissue expanders needed

Depending on what the characteristics of your breasts look like, I don't think you will need tissue expanders.  You will only need an implant, radial scoring, possible lowering of your breast fold, and possible an areola reduction.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast surgery

While photos would help, plan on 6-8 weeks for expansion, followed by placement of implants. I usually expand patients once a week. I usually reserve tissue expanders so for extremely severe cases, because most times it can be done in one stage. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breast surgery

Hello and thank you for your question.  Tuberous breast surgery with radial scoring of constriction bands and implant placement is typically performed as a single stage procedure without tissue expanders.  I recommend asking your surgeon about the time course.
Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tuberous breasts and tissue expanders

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to comment without pictures, however, it is very uncommon for tissue expanders to be used prior to breast implants in a cosmetic setting.   Especially with the size you're mentioning, implants can be placed with the release of the breast tissue in the same setting without the need for expanders. In general however, expanders will need to be in for a few months prior to them being exchanged. They are also other options of expandable implants that can be used. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. You will find that online consultants can only speculate (as there are no actual rules in this regard); your best resource for information will be your own plastic surgeon. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.