What's the correct way to improve degraded facial appearance in my case?

Hi. I'm 27 years old male and during last two years I've lost a lot of "teen" facial fat. Although the face started to look more defined, it unfortunately lost all vibrancy,youth and glow, resulting in a tired, dull and bit oldish appearance. Endocrino said that I'm fine. Plastic surgeon said that I had volume loss (which I already know, but volume loss is a good thing if we're talking about facial fat loss,right?). Ortho said that have weak cheekbones, class II bite and flat face. What to do?

Doctor Answers 4

Improve Facial Aging/Loss of Facial Volume -- Fillers, Sculptra, Fat, Implants, PRP

I find that a combination of lasers or RF, sculptra, microneedling/PRP, fillers and skin care help skin rejuvenation and prevent further facial aging. Fillers and fat can give volume.  Please see a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

27 years old male and during last two years I've lost a lot of "teen" facial fat.

 Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants) and facelifts for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.   The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

  • Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

     I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

Hope this helps.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Facial rejuvenation

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many options including fillers and facial implants.  It depends on your individual anatomy.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 122 reviews

Options to treat facial fat loss

In general, there are a few methods that can be used to treat facial fat loss.  Surgically placed implants can be used in some cases, and in others, injectable fillers can be used.  Sometimes a combination of both can work best.  An examination of your face, or at least photographs of you, would really be needed to determine if you are a good candidate for treatment and which treatments might be most beneficial to you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.