What's better Coolscupting or Sculpsure?

Which gives the best results for the tummy and love handles

Coolsculpting versus Sculpsure

Coolsculpting has been consistently giving fabulous results since its inception 9 years ago and patients come back for new areas and are happy with the results.  Sculpsure is new and the jury is still out on its efficacy.  Best, Dr. Green

CoolSculpting Vs. Sculpsure

CoolSculpting has been around longer and can treat more areas than sculpsure at this point.  They both usually reduce the number of fat cells by 20%.  According to a new study by Dr. Eric Bernstein, CoolSculpting is now demonstrating long-term efficacy after 9 years.  Many different modalities have been used for non-invasive body contouring.  Some of these techniques include radio-frequency, laser, ultrasound, and infrared light.  CoolSculpting uses a modality called cryolipolysis for body contouring.  This is a non-invasive esthetic procedure that utilizes controlled cooling to minimize subcutaneous fat.  CoolSculpting has demonstrated long-term efficacy better than any other non-invasive body contouring method.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Coolsculpting vs Sculpsure

At present, I am not aware of any studies comparing one side of someone's body being done with CoolSculpting and the other with Sculpsure.  It's interesting that in the studies done for approval by the FDA, the fat reduction in both techniques is somewhere around 20%. With CoolSculpting being around for seven or so years now it is still the gold standard and seems to work well in the vast majority of patients. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Coolsculpt vs. Sculpsure

I am not aware of any unbiased head to head comparisons of Coolsculpt to Sculpsure, but I do have first hand experience with two different fat melting devices, as well as Coolsculpting, and I have found that Coolsculpting is a very reliable and effective way to reduce unwanted fat. We have very happy patients with Coolsculpt.Andrew Campbell, M.D.Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

#CoolSculpting vs #SculpSure

Dear aes295:  Both procedures provide permanent reduction in the number of fat cells in the treated areas. However, of the noninvasive options for fat reduction, CoolSculpting is still the gold standard, for several reasons. Firstly, it's been around since 2009, and the efficacy and side effects are well understood. Secondly for most people it really is not uncomfortable at all to have the procedure performed, whereas in my experience more patients relate that SculpSure is either painful or in some cases intolerable. Thirdly, and this is not a major difference, although each SculpSure treatment takes only 25 minutes to be completed, the treated area itself is about the size of a pack of cards, and it takes more than eight of these areas to add up to the size of one CoolSmooth applicator and more than 10 of these SculpSure areas to add up to the size of one CoolMax applicator. Since four of these areas can be treated at once with SculpSure, two on each side of the body, you would need more than two cycles of four treatment areas each to equal one treatment with a CoolSmooth applicator and three cycles of SculpSure to treat more fat than that in one CoolMax treatment area. Also, studies with SculpSure have reported up to 24% fat reduction, whereas with a post-treatment massage, CoolSculpting delivers a 28% reduction of fat in the treated area.  SculpSure could be preferable if one has a cold-induced disorder such as circulating cold agglutinins due to chronic active hepatitis, or possibly a history of Raynaud's disease or chilblains.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  All the best, 
Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Remember that the effect of technology is always user dependent.

Your great question has a lengthy answer! Whenever I evaluate a patient, the appropriateness of the procedure depends upon the expectations. As a board certified plastic surgeon, I have had extensive surgical experience with the abdomen and thighs. Sometimes surgery is the only option. In evaluating these areas, I am checking the skin , muscle, and fat. Extreme issues with any one of these could tip the balance to surgery. If the choice is made for noninvasive fat removal , both CoolSculpt and SculpSure are good options. I own a CoolSculpt unit and have had extensive experience with it for well over five years. The clinical and market research with Coolsculpt has been extensive. The physician review of CoolSculpt has been quite high. Patient satisfaction rate is above 82 percent. SculpSure is the new kid on the block and, as such, does not have the long history of testing as seen with CoolSculpt. Interestingly, there have been insider reports of variability in the reproducibility of SculpSure even with set temperatures. The gold standard practices that have actually done much of the SculpSure clinical studies do have a technician in the room at all times during the treatment to adjust the heat should it become too uncomfortable for the patient . This is a most important patient consideration. Both devices remove the same amount of fat per treatment. Neither device is an overnight solution. 

I personally apply the handpieces on my patients so that we are sculpting a site rather than just applying the hand-piece in the exact same spot each time. 

I have had both CoolSculpt and SculpSure treatments myself so I have personal knowledge of comfort and immediate aftermath of both. And I do believe that , for the right patient, CoolSculpt can be a home run!

Coolsculpting/Sculpsure/Liposuction/Body Contouring/ High Definition Procedure

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.

The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.

The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.

The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.

It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.

If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12.

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of our patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.

I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results.

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz