Is CoolSculpting right for me or a waste of money? (Photo)

I am a 28 year old female 5'3 135 lbs with one prior pregnancy. I work out and eat healthy but still have problem areas- lower abdomen and flanks. I am looking into coolsculpting because I cannot take more than a week off of work(I have an active job as well) and may have other children in the future. I would like to approve the appearance of my abdomen in my swimsuit and fit better into my clothes. I think my skin is still pretty tight but I do have some stretch marks. Is cool sculpting right for me?

Is CoolSculpting right for me or a waste of money?

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to tell from your photos. If you are interested, I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a good candidate. An in-person assessment is always best. Regards,

CoolSculpting works well on patients who have small, localized areas of stubborn fat

CoolSculpting works well on patients who have small, localized areas of stubborn fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. An in-person consultation with a board-certified dermatologist is necessary to evaluate if you are a good candidate, but from your description it certainly sounds like CoolSculpting may be a good choice for you.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Hi and thanks for your question. It appears you would be a good candidate for coolsculpting but make sure to visit a practice that has a lot of experience with this technology. See a practice which is directed by a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who can examine you and make a correct diagnosis and provide you with all the treatment options. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting and it's benefits.

Hi there and thank you for your question.  CoolSculpting is a great treatment for those individuals who are either at or very close to their ideal body weight and live a healthy lifestyle.  With each applicator you can expect a 22%-25% reduction in your fat pad.  Not an overall reduction in your body size but a reduction in the fat pad itself.  If you are treating the entire area of concern properly you can expect to see a significant improvement in your shape.  However CoolSculpting will have no effect on stretchmarks.  I suggest making an appointment with a CoolSculpting expert in your area for a consultation.

Best of luck to you!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photos.  In general, for patients who are looking for 20-25% reduction of fat in a specific area without downtime, Coolsculpting may be a good option but would not address the loose or damaged skin in the abdominal area.
Traditional liposuction may also be an option for more significant results and 1 week of recovery would normally be fine - but again, the loose or damaged skin would not be addressed.
It will be important for you to meet with a well experienced plastic surgeon who can discuss all options with you in detail after an in person evaluation and discussion of your goals.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

CoolSculpting effectively reduces localized fat bulges

Observing a two dimensional photograph is not the same as a physician doing a physical examination in person. I examine every patient who sees me for a CoolSculpting consultation.  Good health, good skin elasticity and being able to isolate fat bulges that warrant reduction all make a patient a good candidate for CoolSculpting. We have learned that the best results of transformations occur after the whole cosmetic unit is treated with sculpting by applying several adjacent applicators. It is rare that we only place one applicator on the lower abdomen. It is common that the sides of both the upper and lower abdomen along with their mid sections, need to be treated. 

Patients continually to rate CoolSculpting in my practice with very high ratings.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Results versus High Definition Lipo

I have never found smart liposuction to be that effective and in your case you really need fat removal and skin tightening/tummy tuck. I suggest a formal consultation with a body contouring specialist. VASER does more for skin tightening then laser. Noninvasive treatments will do very little for you. Best, Dr. Emer

CoolSculpting The Abdomen

Of course, an in-person consultation and evaluation is needed to determine whether you are a suitable CoolSculpting candidate and exactly how much you would need to give you the best results. Looking at your picture it seems that you would benefit from the treatment. Depending on your goals, you'll probably need at least 2 rounds of treatment. The procedure will not make your loose skin any worse. In fact, in some patients we have seen some mild skin tightening. The key is that you find an experienced provider that can help you get the best results. Hope this helps answer your question!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.

Coolsculpting is a great treatment for people with a history such as yours. As long as you have areas of fat and we can 'pinch' those areas, as a very rough guide, we can treat those areas.

So, the assessment is important. In our practice in Sydney, we could easily see other patents who look and sound like you, with good results. This technology really works. In our practice we do not offer any services we don't believe in from a scientific and medical viewpoint, and we have 2 of these!

As with everything you choose, take time to understand what the assessor tells you is reasonable to expect. It's not a new body you are getting, it's an enhancement to what you have.

I hope this has been of value for you. Good luck in your journey.

Coolsculpting right for me

You seem to be a perfect candidate for Coolsculpting. You are not too obese and in shape. You might need 2 cycles on abdomen. Consult your local provider to see exactly how many treatments will be needed. Vanquish ME is also a possible treatment. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD