I had coolsculpt done in April last year and did not do anything. Is there a chance it will actually work this time?

4 areas across my abdomen were done at one time from right to left. Large. I am 30 lbs overweight. But I started a 10-week MAx fitness challenge will be done December 5. Having coolsculpt done Nov 11. Is there a chance it will actually work this time.

Effective CoolSculpting Treatments

It is not uncommon that with one treatment of CoolSculpting you might not see the result you are looking for. CoolSculpting is a procedure which works over time, and with each area treated you should be able to see about a 20% loss in that area. Your frustration is not uncommon, and what I find when discussing this with our patients is that during the consultation, you were not told how the treatment really works, how we need multiple treatments to achieve a result, and that you need to maintain a diet program and exercise for maximum benefits. We call the treatment program Treat to Transformation, and this is the approach that works the best — small and large applicators at various places to make the results real.

You should make sure you are going to a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to assure you are getting the best consultation, the best options and the best treatments that can be given with the device. We are also finding that sometimes CoolSculpting works best if some sort of second treatment is given right after the CoolSculpting — things such as Z Wave (ultrasound shock wave therapy) or one of the varied radiofrequency devices like VelaShapeIII, Venus Legacy, EndyMed 3Deep or Alma Accent. The treatment paradigm for CoolSculpting is changing — so make sure the office you go to is skilled and up to date.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

It's Important to be a Good Candidate

CoolSculpting can achieve amazing results when it comes to eliminating unwanted fat, but it's important to be a good candidate. If you are overall happy with your weight but find you still have stubborn pockets of unwanted fat that don't respond to diet or exercise, you are a good candidate for this treatment. If you are overweight or more than 10lb above what you would consider your goal weight, your results won't be the same. CoolSculpting is not a weight loss treatment. It's best to lose any excess weight before you undergo this treatment and talk to you a highly qualified CoolSculpting specialist who can help determine if it's overall right for you. Otherwise, it's likely that you won't achieve the result you're hoping for.

Coolsculpting

It sounds like you're a bit frustrated.  The answers below are correct regarding how the technology works and that not every patient is an idea candidate.  However, Coolsculpting is also very technique dependent and it's essential for the best results, to be treated by an expert.    For example, depending upon the amount of fat treated, we may select to stack treatments in a single area rather than doing a single treatment.  This off label approach often yields substantially greater results.  Additionally, you can do applications in 2 areas simultaneously (we have 2 devices) to further improve results.  If you're not a perfect candidate, it might be better to have liposuction or other procedures so seek out a center with board certified doctors who offer a wide range of procedures so you can get the treatment that best suits your needs.  

I hope that's helpful and good luck...

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cool sculpting

Cool sculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. Most patients see a result, with loss of around twenty percent of the treated fat cells at every treatment. It is possible you need more treatments to see more of a result. You can review your pretreatment photographs because sometimes the results are subtle.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting requires technique

While you may have been treated in the past, multiple factors play into success with Coolsculpting.  I would see someone who is highly experienced with the technique and the latest protocols to see if you are a candidate for additional treatment.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Depends

Coolsculpting is proven to work on "fluffy" fat.  That is you must have visible bulges that can easily be sucked into the vacuum for it to work.  You stated that 4 areas across your abdomen were treated - do you know if this was with the coolmax applicator?  That is the largest applicator and has the most coverage area.  I would advise you to lose some weight first, before trying again.  Proper assessment is critical for you and you may want to visit another office to double check.  Good luck!

Dominic Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Abdomen

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure. It works very well in the abdominal, flanks, and thigh areas. However, if you are 30 pounds overweight I would have suggested you get closer to your ideal weight before having the procedure. For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in coolsculpting. 

Coolsculpting and getting a good result

Coolsculpting is a wonderful technology BUT it is not a weight loss method. Unfortunately, many medical spas and offices pitch the treatment and over promise the results. One can get a modest reduction in fat in properly selected areas with a single treatment and it is possible to get a very impressive result with a series of treatments. I would recommend seeing a physician that you trust and one who will evaluate you to make sure you are a good candidate for the procedure. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon