Is it common not to have sensation on lips 4 months after SMAS Facelift?

I have ok sensation on one spot of my lower lip. However rest of the lips are mostly numb 4 months after surgery. Lips were huge right after the surgery and made it difficult to eat. I can see now that the parts that were most swollen have least structure now. Doctor made my lower lip as small as my upper lip. I need fat injections to correct this. I don't understand why he did so many little mistakes I did not give him a permission. He is known to teach his tecniques... Very unethical!

Lip numbness after facelift

Lip numbness after facelift is not the norm. You must have had some additional procedure done on the lips. Or, a chin implant???

No sensation on lips 4 months after SMAS facelift

It is not common to have decreased sensation on the lips after a SMAS facelift.  If you had a procedure on your lips as well, then this could cause some alteration in sensation.  In most cases, this loss of sensation improves over time but sometimes can take 6-12 months to resolve.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip sensation after facelifting

Decreased lip sensation would be unusual after facelifting surgery.  You sound like you may have had a lip procedure as well, which can affect lip sensation.  I think you would do well to discuss your concerns with your surgeon; if this relationship is no longer therapeutic, you may do well to seek another opinion.  Good luck in your recovery.

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon