my columella looks pointy, it could be because of swelling? (photo)

Dear Doctors, I had a close rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago, I really like my profile now but when I see me from the front I look really weird, my columella looks pointy, could swelling be distorting that? my doctor added a graft for support in my columella. I know that is soon but I don't like how it look from the front or above, what can I do?

Rhinoplasty at 3 weeks

At 3 weeks you are still early in the healing process. Best to give it more time to heal and for the swelling to come down.

Columella Shape

Thank you for you question.  At this point, I would say that the shape of the columella is affected most by swelling.  Your will have swelling in the nasal tissues for quite some time, and can last anywhere from 6 months to one year.  In addition, you will have more definition of the columella because of the cartilage graft that was placed.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon, and I think that this area will improve once all swelling has resolved.  I hope that this helps!-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty healing

Thank you for the question and photos.  Yes, the shape of the columella may be the result of swelling since you are still relatively early after your rhinoplasty procedure.  A columella graft may also be the source of the shape.  With time, swelling will subside and if that is the cause of the columella shape than it will improve with time as well.   If it does not, the cartilage graft may be the source and your plastic surgeon can discuss with you the options that you have in addressing that.All the best,Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD