Chin implants or genioplasty /osteotomy? (photos)

I don't like my face profile....my chin is too small and my cheeks are not well defined. Do I need a chin implant or a genioplasty that concerns only the chin or both the chin and the mandibular bones?

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

C'hin implant versus genioplasty

A chin implant is performed under local anesthesia which involves placement of  a Silastic implant.   The chin implant procedure is performed for cosmetic purposes under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.  A sliding genioplasty is performed under general anesthesia is inpatient procedure at a hospital with an overnight hospital stay.  Performing a genioplasty will realign the teeth, in addition to bringing the chin  forward.  

Chin implants or genioplasty

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 
 I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Cheeks and Chin

The combination of a siding genioplasty, cheek implants and buccal lipectomies will go a long way towards creating a more defined face with a more pleasing profile to you.

Jawline and cheekbone definition

In order to define and contour the jawline/chin and achieve reasonable balance with the midface/cheekbones; you could consider the sliding genioplasty (have to ensure the 'fold' under the lower lip is managed) along with thin tapering implant augmentation of the jawline. The cheekbone definition could be achieved with Fillers or small malar implants.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon