Chin implant or Filler?

I am aware in need a nose tip correction which I have scheduled for January 17. However lots of people have been saying I need a chin implant. Could you tell me your thoughts and maybe what size you would recommend

Rhinoplasty and chin implant candidate

The size and the shape of a chin implant is usually determined at the time of the consultation and examination, since both the chin and the implants are 3-dimensional structures.  The far majority of patients in our practice  received a small Silastic chin implant manufactured by Implantech.  The hanging columella can also be addressed as well at the same time.  Choose your Surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience.

Balanced profile with chin augmentation

While a chin implant can be critical for some patients in order to balance the profile, I am not convinced that is the case for you. Sometimes a small implant can make a visual impact if you want a more structured look. If you are uncertain you can try filler. It won't completely show the effect of a solid implant but it will give you a decent idea about whether you like it. You can dissolve the filler before surgery. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Implant or filler?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin implant or Filler?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

I have performed many Rhinoplasty Surgeries over the past 30 years and taught numerous Rhinoplasty Surgeons.  It should have been mentioned during your Rhinoplasty consultation that the weak chin would make the nose appear larger than it truly is and throw the lower face out of balance.  There are many different sizes and shapes and several methods of performing chin augmentation.  It should be performed at the same time as your Tip-plasty (Rhinoplasty IMHO) and by a surgeon experienced in Rhinoplasty as well as Chin Augmentation using a chin implant through a submental approach.  Taking a recommended size to a surgeon is no guarantee of a favorable outcome.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant

IMO your problem is the overfilled lips which seem to project more than the nose. More chin makes it pointy and accentuates the hollow under the lips. Less lip makes the balance of you face overall better. 

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon