Which will be better for me - a chin implant or fat transfer to chin? (Photo)

A rhinoplasty I'm getting for sure, but still trying to decide what will be best for me to balance my face out, chin implant or fat tranfer to my chin?

Chin augmentation

A chin implant will give your chin more projection and definition. A fat transfer will add volume to the soft tissue envelope and make it look bigger, but less well-defined.A jaw implant

Candidate for a chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin implant versus fat transfer

based on your photos an implant would be best. Fat transfer can enhance a chin but is limited, given that the implanted material is soft. It can only give a few millimeters of augmentation. Anything more than that is best treated with an implant. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant for weak and recessive chin profile

Chin implants work very well for a weak and  recessive chin profile, since the implants are used for bony augmentation.  Fat injections are used for soft tissue augmentation and do not work well in the chin area.  Look for a specialist who can perform both rhinoplasty and chin implant one setting and produce a natural result.

Rubberized silicone chin implants have a long track record of safety.

The importance of chin augmentation in your situation could only be made with an examination. We do not recommend fat transfer for chin augmentation. Fat grafting may lead to an uneven chin appearance postoperatively, and unlike silicone chin implants, fat grafts to your chin are irremovable if you dislike the appearance. Silicone chin implants are relatively easy to place, and may lead to a predictable amount of augmentation with little downtime. Hope this helps you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

An implant is more precise and holds it shape forever. Fat grafting may require more than one session. It is also technically more difficult and leads to more swelling.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Which will be better for me - a chin implant or fat transfer to chin?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery. Despite its recent popularity, fat transfer is far less reliable than and "off the shelf" dermal filler or a chin implant and for that reason I do not use fat to shape the face.

Hope this helps.