I've never had children and don't plan to. Will I get even better results w/ muscle tightening than someone who has?

I would like to get abdominoplasty (been told by surgeons that the skin on my abdom isn't elastic enough for lipo only). Even though I have never had children, I am ok with this since I am not planning to have children. Since I don't have any abdominal splitting from pregnancy, will the muscle tightening yield even better results than someone who has? How can I expect my results to differ from someone who has had children? I'm 33, 5'2 and within 10lbs of my goal weight of 123.

Good question

You pose a good question, but without examining  you I can not give y ou an answer. You would need to be seen so I could evaluate the degree of diastasis and how much extra skin you actually have.

Abdominoplasty outcome

If you have not had children and the muscles are tight, then you will be a candidate for a shorter operation and possibly a panniculectomy alone. If the muscles are weak, irrespective of the lack of childbearing, then you will need an abdominoplasty. Tummy tucks are individualized to personal needs. The absence of a diastasis typically
is suggestive of a better result. See a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Besr,
Dr Kraft
Educated at the Yale University School of Medicine

Tummytuck NYC

Cacci
Photos would be helpful, but I am surprised that you need Tummytuck according to your height and weight. If you lost a lot of weight, and have residual redundant skin, then Tummytuck is your best option. If you have never been pregnant, you might not need muscle tightening, physical exam would help diagnose. Results depend on several factors, including skin type and individual healing, but chances are, at ideal weight you describe, results should be excellent. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen, even if you have not had children.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD