Am I candidate for a hair transplant? (Photo)

I have been taking propecia (1/4 tablet daily) and using rogaine everyday. However my hairline has still been receding. I am uncomfortable with my hairline and would like to know if I am a candidate for a hair transplant. I am 26.

Am I candidate for a hair transplant?

Thank you for your question. To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Am I candidate for a hair transplant?

Thank you for posting your question and pictures. From the looks of it, you are a good candidate for hair restoration to solidify your hairline, and give your face balance, symmetry and facial framing. Hope this helps. 

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

What is your diagnosis

You need a diagnosis before thinking about a treatment.  You need an exam to determine if you may continue to bald.  The doctor needs to also understand what type of results you are looking for.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Lowering hair line

Hair restoration is going through very important evolution for improving both the naturalness and fullness that can be achieved.  Today’s new advanced Ultra Refined Follicular Unit hair transplant allows thousands of hair follicles to be placed in one to two sessions with the lateral Microslit grafting technique. This technique requires high-powered microscopes to divide the donor strip into its natural follicular unit. The microscopes are used to dissect and remove excess tissue attached to the hair follicles, therefore eliminating the skin gaps or dead space. Also by using very unique, small and customized needles for each individual client, We can make the recipient sites in very close proximity to each other in its natural orientation.   This unique technique requires more skill and attention to be performed properly. These very small and minimally invasive incisions enable the surgeon to dense pack the frontal hairline and give the utmost cosmetic results.  
From looking at your picture, you are a good candidate for ultra refined microscopic hair transplant to lower your hair line. You need to make sure the hair restoration specialist has the training and experience to perform specialized techniques. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

There is an alternative in New York to hair transplants and medical therapy that thickens your hair and stops hair loss

I’m interested in understanding why you’ve chosen to cut your finasteride dosage to a relatively low one. In medicine, we refer to this as sub-therapeutic dose because there are established standards of how much dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is reduced with one milligram of finasteride. It may be because you’re concerned about long-term sexual side effects, but you’re probably not doing that much good by taking such a low dose. If your hair follicles are susceptible to DHT, you may not be reducing DHT to make a difference. When you cut a pill in four, you’re really not getting a quarter dosage on each part of the pill since manufacturers and pharmaceuticals don’t make pills like that.

When you look at your options beyond medications, you see there’s so much information about hair transplants. Doctors who do transplants will always boast about numbers of grafts, how much they can do, and how great and natural their transplants look. For many years, it was generally not advised to do transplants in men in their 20s because if the onset of hair loss was in the 20s, then the limitations of a transplant may prevent getting the optimal result for them. As you get older, you tend to not need as much hair because of general societal norms. People in their 40s and 50s, there’s more than 40-50% of men have hair loss and they tend to not to have a full head of hair.

In our practice, we’ve developed Hair Regeneration which we have used to treat people who come to us from all over the world. This is a process to reverse hair thinning without taking medication and doing surgery. This is composed of a material called extracellular matrix (ECM) developed originally for wound healing combined with a material that comes from your own blood called platelet-rich plasma (PRP). Platelet-rich plasma has the key elements and growth factors necessary for wound healing. We do injections into the scalp all done at one time. We’ve been able to get successful results in about 100% of male pattern hair loss patients which is remarkable. We’ve treated people who were taking finasteride but were still losing hair. The majority of our male patients don’t even take finasteride at all.

We’re in a point now where the results of Hair Regeneration exceed the results of hair transplantation. Since hair follicles are already grouped together, by thickening those hairs the amount of coverage is considerably more than you can get with a hair transplant. Hair transplant has limits in the number of hairs you can move. There are also limits of the numbers of hairs that survive, and there’s a lot of collateral loss of existing hair. Existing thinning hairs that once contributed to the overall look of coverage are sacrificed when you do hair transplant because of fmaking little openings or stabs on the skin.

In our practice, our strategy is first do Hair Regeneration, restore whatever is possible and stabilize and prevent the progression. This onetime injection appears to have benefit for 3-5 years. There’s a small subset of patients that we do a secondary injection for people who are more advanced. We see our patients every 3 months so that we make sure that we’re able to measure our results as objectively as possible. We do a combination of microscope photos, trichoscopy, and digital resolution photography.

It’s really important that you understand the physiology of hair loss as much as you can before you decide. Remember that there is now an alternative called Hair Regeneration which can stabilize progression as well as thicken existing hair. You may now be able to hold off having a hair transplant for awhile, if you do it at all. The majority of our patients feel very satisfied and decide not to have a hair transplant. A lot of men do hair transplants purely out of desperation which is a terrible reason to make a decision. Learn more and then make a decision based on education about your medical therapy as well as Hair Regeneration. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for surgery at 26?

You are indeed a candidate for a conservatively designed hairline (not too flat). Speak to a number of surgeons.  Restoring the crown is best delayed until the mid 30s.  A conservative number of grafts 900-1300 is likely to be best option at age 26 with the photos shown

Am I a candidate for a hair transplant?

You need to be seen by a competent, experienced hair restoration surgeon to determine if your are a candidate for a hair transplant. There is no substitute for a doctor's assessment. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon