Breastfeeding/weaning and breast augmentation?

How long should I wait after weaning to have a breast lift with implant?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... The milk ducts and nipples are left intact, so the breast lift surgery usually will not affect your ability to breastfeed.

How much time....

I would recommend waiting at least 3 months after you have stopped producing milk.  Your breasts should stop changing prior to surgery.

I recommend an in-office examination and a detailed discussion with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Time to wait

Usually at least 3 and more common 6 months. You want your milk to stop and your breasts to go down to where they are stable.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, I advise patients to wait 6 months after completing breast feeding before proceeding with elective breast surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Augment after breastfeeding

I recommend waiting six months for your breasts to get back to a non-milk producing state.  Also, you should be at a desired weight before deciding on implants.

Breast Lift with Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you wait 6 months after you finish breast feeding prior to undergoing elective surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  This is a great question.  I tell my patients to wait 3-6 months until after breastfeeding is completed before breast augmentation surgery. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast lift after breast feeding

I usually have patients wait about 6 months so that the breasts can involute and be soft.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Breast implants and lift after breastfeeding

I recommend waiting at least 6 months upon completion of breastfeeding to allow the breasts to normalize after milk production and hormonal changes. At that point you'll know your true post-breastfeeding size and degree of droopiness and will be better able to make the best decision for your cosmetic breast surgery. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast enhancement surgery after breast feeding

Hi and thanks for posting your question to Real Self!

Breast feeding enlarges the breasts by increasing the size of the milk producing structures. I typically tell my patients to wait for 3-6 months after weaning to have breast implant and/or breast lift procedures. Having your consultation after completion of breast feeding (2-3 months) will give the surgeon the ability to be more accurate with you about size estimates and need for additional procedures.

Good luck on your journey!

Rachel Streu, MD