Breast surgery. 10years ago Been diagnosed a vWillebrand 1. Doctors gave me as therapy EMOSINT 0.3. have to do new test?

sorry for my english, i'm foreigner My Surgeon asked to choose an hematologist for a consult. I searched one on the internet, but the one i found asked me to repeat all the coagulation test as ten years ago. My plastic surgeon and my husband(radiologist) think that if i was responsive to DDAVP (desmopressin) 10yrs ago, i'm responsive even now.we're going to call an other hematologist. it's reasonable to repeat the DDVAP-responsivity test after ten years as the first hematologist wanted ?

Doctor Answers 6

Of course it is reasonable to repeat the tests

You should repeat all of the laboratory tests as requested by the hematologist.  Neither your husband nor the radiologist have any idea what you will be responsive too.  Seeking out a hematologist that will give you the answer that YOU are looking to get is cheating yourself out of the proper work up and recommendation.  There is no argument for using the data from 10 years ago, none.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 136 reviews

Have to do new test?

The hematologist is absolutely right in asking for a fresh test,one to compare with the first test and two,to know your present status,it will give valuable data for analysis and treatment modulation

Thangavel Ayyappan, MBBS, MS, MCh, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Breast surgery. 10years ago Been diagnosed a vWillebrand 1. Doctors gave me as therapy EMOSINT 0.3. have to do new test?

Thank you for the question. I would definitely follow the recommendations of your hematologist and once cleared by them to follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Himansu Shah, MD
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Breast surgery and vWillebrand

Thank you for your question. I recommend to repeat all the tests and finish consultation with hematologist. After that you and your PS make the treatment plan. Good luck

Ven Erella, MD
Austin Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Breast surgery

Hello and thank you for your question.  I highly recommend that you follow your hematologist's advice.  I have operated on many patients with Von Willebrands, but only in careful coordination with a hematologist.  Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 131 reviews

? Repeat blood test for Von Willebrand's disease

ffffI think you should follow the advice of your hematologist regarding the testing/treatment for your Von Willebrand's disease. He/she will not clear you for surgery without a full work up especially since it has been 10 years since your last blood work and you are a new patient to this doctor. It's also possible that what worked in the past, may not work now or may not be sufficient because your disease has worsened over the years. It's fine to get a second opinion but I would follow their advice to avoid getting into trouble in the OR. Best wishes!

Gregory Baum, MD
Syracuse Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.