Breast Reduction when still planning to have pregnancies?

I'm in need of a breast reduction, I hear that its done only after u stop having babies, as pregnancy may result in the breasts growing again and risks ability of nursing. I had 2 pregnancies, my breasts did not increase significantly, only when I breastfed. After I stop breastfeeding I go back to my original size. Nursing made my breasts so big that I stopped nursing for this reason of extreme back pain, so I don't really plan to nurse later on for this reason. Would u recommend to go for it now?

Breast reduction

Perfectly reasonable to consider at this time.  Definitely worth discussing with a board-certified plastic surgeon. That doesn't mean that you wouldn't necessarily do it at this point. When you are looking see if this someone in your  that specializes in the less invasive alternative which is the liposuction only operation. Might make it more reasonable to do at this point in your life.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.
Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do this procedure ( like all other elective body contouring the stages, when patients have reached their long-term stable weights. In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast reduction procedure).
There are patients who present with “juvenile” breast hypertrophy will benefit from breast reduction surgery ( for both physical and psychosocial reasons) at an early age ( even as teenagers). Patients should consider carefully the pros and cons of the procedure as well as the potential need for further surgery if the breasts “regrow” in size.
If at all possible, it is best to wait until after completing pregnancies before undergoing breast reduction surgery. Again, doing so will minimize the chances that patients will require further surgery after pregnancy related breast changes.
On the other hand, it can be argued that, patients with breast hypertrophy benefit from breast reduction surgery prior to pregnancy ( to prevent the symptoms that may occur as the breasts grow even larger during and after pregnancy/breast-feeding). However, in the interests of avoiding additional surgery, I feel that it is in most patients best interest, to wait until pregnancies have been completed and a long-term stable weight has been reestablished.

Breast reduction

The reduction can be done at any point in your life. I have done many women who had not had children yet and many who were done having kids. You do it when it fits your lifestyle.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast Reduction prior to completion of child bearing

It is not necessary to wait until you are done with childbearing before you have your breast reduction.  If you are symptomatic with back pain, neck pain, and bra-strap grooving, there is no reason to wait only to continue to suffer with these symptoms.  I would recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a board certified Plastic Surgeon whom you feel comfortable with.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Miami Beach and Beverly Hills Trained Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Urmen Desai, MD, MPH, FACS

Breast reduction timing

When to have a breast reduction is a personal decision.  In general, patients chose to have the surgery when the size and/or weight of their breasts cause significant pain and discomfort.  There are factors that you should consider however.  Breasts are unpredictable!  Even though your breast size did not change with your first two pregnancies, there is no guarantee that they will respond to a third pregnancy the same way.  With another pregnancy they may get bigger and stay bigger, they may get bigger and then atrophy (get smaller than they are right now) or they may stay about the same.  It's a gamble.  If you decide to go ahead with surgery now, to make yourself more comfortable, just be aware that your breasts may not look the way you want them to after a post-reduction pregnancy.  You should have the possibility of a second surgical procedure in the back of your mind.  Good luck with your decision-making!!! Wouldn't it be nice to have a crystal ball?

Jane Weston, MD

Breast reduction and pregnancy

It is perfectly reasonable to have a breast reduction before you're done having children, particularly if the size of your breasts are causing pain.  Be sure to have an evaluation by a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in order to get a qualified, expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations.
Best of luck
Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Keith M. Blechman, MD

Breast reduction

I have treated patients just about at all stages ( except during pregnancy obviously).  It is a personal choice as to when the procedure should be done. Best of luck.

Breast reduction-now or later

Excellent question. If you are not planning to breast feed in the future and have symptoms that require relief, then you can have the surgery now.  Future pregnancies in your case, based on history, are unlikely to have a significant effect on the outcome. The insurance companies are tightening criteria every day, making it even more difficult for women to have this operation, so I would encourage you not to wait if you hope to have it covered by your carrier. Best wishes.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS