Does the breast pocket have to be readjusted if the projection and profile become smaller but width stays the same?

I want to replace my silicone breast implants, from UHP325cc to medium profile 200cc; the diameter will stay the same but projection and volume will change. Does the breast pocket have to be readjusted??

Breast implant exchange

I would not think that the pocket would need adjustment at all. That might change once you're in there, but I doubt it.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Pocket revision

Likely the pocket will need to be closed.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

#BreastImplantRevision - Does the breast pocket have to be readjusted?

One might think not, since the diameters of the two implants are the same.  So the nipple-to-inframammary crease distance should be the same.  However, since you had larger implants, the tissues have been stretched out to a certain degree. That means that YOUR nipple to IM distance is probably longer now than it was before you had the implants.  As such, the implant may fold up a bit in the new pocket.  To prevent that, it may be beneficial to have some sutures inserted to block off the lower portion of that pocket.  You would of course need to be seen in person for a full assessment and appropriate recommendations.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Pocket adjustment

If the base width of the implant is about the same. then it is usually not necessary to adjust the pocket size.

Does downsize in implant mean I need pocket revision.

Maybe and maybe not!  I would need to perform an in person exam to check the quality of your skin and your current laxity.  If the breast is still quite right then a simple implant exchange may be possible.  Everyone is different how much the tissues snap back after removing an implant although most do quite well. Please see board certified plastic surgeons for the best information. 

Melinda Haws, MD

Assuming you are pleased with the current position of your breast implants on your chest wall, and based on your description of breast implant measurements, it is unlikely that adjustments (capsulorraphy)  of the breast implant capsules will be necessary during your revisionary breast surgery. Keep in mind, nothing replaces in-person evaluation when it comes to determining whether additional maneuvers are necessary during breast implant removal/replacement surgery. Communicate your goals carefully with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full length mirror and with the help of goal photographs. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.