Is it better to get little bouts of lyft/cheek filler or more?

I am in love with cheek fillers, I love lyft. I am younger- so I like subtle and dont need too much, but I keep hearing how women should go for a full syringe per cheek versus the way I do it- split a syringe and do 1/2 per cheek- I do this every six months. Which would look better and what would make it last longer? I also hear getting small doses helps it last longer versus full correction initially? So, whats the right answer get more filler or half? Thanks.

Timing and amount of Filler use

Dear Roxyj:There is no right answer. It is determined when the patient is happy with the results of the volume, technique, facial balance or line reduction, type of filler, cost, duration, swelling and bruising or other side-effect and so many other factors. In general, I recommend no more than one to 1.5 cc of filler per cheek every 3 weeks until they are satisfied with the volume, shape and projection. This allows the prior filler session to settle and the following session to improve upon a prior concerns. There are many times a full cc of filler can improve upon minor issues initially or following prior filler.Hyaluronic acid fillers maintain their volume by attracting water molecules to the HA molecule. As the natural skin enzyme hyaluronidase breaks down the filler, the projection maintains itself until the last month or 2 of duration when (like an alkaline battery) it all of a sudden starts to disappear. For this reason, a re-fill with smaller amounts of HA filler may maintain your appearance longer by "re-charging" the hydrophyllic attraction of water in the area of prior HA injection.Each patient is different. I am happy to hear this seems to work for you. All the best!

Restylane Lyft for the Cheeks

There is no right answer for your questions. WHile putting a syringe into each cheek initially may increase the longevity of the product, you may not like the results especially if you are younger and looking for subtle results.  If something has been working for you, I would stick to it.  I am also noticing that women who start younger with smaller amounts tend to age better and are less likely to require greater amounts or more invasive procedures as they age.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Is It Better To Get Little Boosts Of Lyft Cheek Filler At A Time Or A Larger Amount Per Injection?

Thank you for this excellent question.  It goes to the core of what facial fillers can do.  The obvious answer is that there is no right answer because facial fillers are not pre made like facial implants.  Therefore, fillers can be individualized based on a person's needs and also desired outcome.
A good injector looks at the patient's face as a whole, and based on his or her experience, will be able to recommend what filler goes where.  This has to be balanced with the individual's desire for volume in general or in specific locations which can give a more chiseled look.  Restylane Lyft is an outstanding product which can last up to 10 months.  I agree with your having injections every 6 months because it prevents too much degradation of the previous filler before new filler is placed therefore, keeping your appearance consistent.  
If you are happy with the splitting of 1cc between two cheeks every 6 months, then why change it?  This fits the old saw, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

How much Restylane Lyft is necessary

The amount of the product necessary is dependent on the patient's needs. Choose an expert and experienced physician injector, and let him or her guide you appropriately. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Restylane Lyft

Restylane Lyft is a great product for cheek augmentation.  There are many factors that go into deciding how much product to inject.  Volume loss and desired effect both will influence the amount of product injected.  Typically, more volume is needed at the initial treatment, followed by lesser amounts injected as maintenance every 6 months-1 year.  The aging face typically loses volume medially (the apple of the cheek) and this is often a target area for treatment.  However, if a youthful or more aged patient desires a more angled cheekbone, small amounts of volume need to be added laterally (towards the outside, on the cheekbone) to give a more sculpted appearance.  All of these factors determine the amount of product needed to create a desired outcome.  A consult with your injector is a good opportunity to discuss expected outcomes and determine estimated product needed to achieve your desired aesthetic result. 

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Each person's requirements and desires are different. Most I treat will require at least one syringe to each side for the improvement they are looking for.  The fillers can last 6 mos to a year depending upon what is used.

Filler logistics

Thank you for your question. Without seeing any photos, it's difficult to answer this question - however, if you only feel as though you need a little, and you like the results with splitting the syringe, then there is no reason to inject more than is needed to achieve full correction. The product breaks down at the same rate independent of deposition; other women may need a full syringe to achieve correction vs. the way you do this. I am glad that you like lyft - it's a really great, long-lasting product. Best of luck!