Does Botox prolong life of HA fillers?

Four months ago I had a small amount of Belotero injected into both tear troughs, along with Botox under the eyes and to the crows feet. I’ve been desperate for the Belotero to wear off ever since as it has given the appearance of a bag under my eye. I’d like another Botox treatment to my crows feet, however I've heard that Botox makes filler treatments last longer. I’m worried that if I have another Botox treatment, this will prolong the life of the filler that I want gone.

Hyaluronic fillers can last longer when BOTOX® is injected in the same area.

There is some evidence to support the notion that injecting BOTOX® in the same area as hyaluronic fillers, such as Restylane®, will cause an increase in the effective life of the filler. This is likely due to the fact that fillers last longer in areas where there is less movement, and BOTOX® restricts muscle contractions and movement. Visit a licensed, experienced injector for an evaluation and advice, but my guess is that your best course of action at this point is to have the filler dissolved and start over to achieve the look you wanted in the first place.

Botox has no interaction with dermal filler

Thank you for your question. The botox and filler work totally differently. The botox will weaken the muscle while the filler will filler lines at rest. They do not interact at all.

- Dr. Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

Does Botox prolong HA filler effects?

Botox prolongs the effects of fillers only when they both affect the same area, for example if you are treating lines between the eyebrows, and it does it by decreasing motion in the area. Treatment of your crow's feet should not affect Belotero under the eye. Avoid Botox injection under the eye. If you want to get rid of the Belotero effect faster, consider having it dissolved with Hyaluronidase. 

Nicole Kafka, MD
New York General Surgeon

Does Botox prolong life of HA fillers?

Hi, I have used Botox and dermal fillers for many years.  Botox will have zero effect on the dermal filler, so you can have another Botox treatment at anytime.  Some injectors place the dermal fillers deep on top of the bone, in the tear trough area, that may prolong effects of the added volume.  

Hope this helps.

Botox and longevity of HA Fillers

Botox will not prolong the life of the HA filler.  You can safely have the Botox injected for your crow's feet making sure none is injected under the eyes.  I would suggest you have Vitrase injected for the Belotero to remove it.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox and fillers

Botox will not make the fillers last longer, but the filler can induce swelling secondary to water retention.  

Botox and Belotero

In my opinion, Botox can make filler last longer in certain areas of the face, mainly the glabellar lines or theoretically the forehead, though I rarely use filler in the forehead. Regarding the lower lids and crows feet Botox, I don't see where the Botox could prolong the Belotero. With that said, most fillers in the tear trough typically last a year. Belotero doesn't usually last that long, but it will last 6+ months. The good news is that if you really don't want the Belotero to be there, just have some hyaluronidase injected in that area. The belotero will be gone in a matter of hours.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does Botox prolong life of HA fillers?

Thank you for your questions and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  If after four months the Belotero has not worn off and is causing these bags it would be best to have the filler dissolved to return you to your pre-filler state.  Botox can slow the metabolism/absorption of fillers by limiting the muscle movement around it but your crows feet injections should not materially impact your tear trough filler. Hope this helps.

Botox prolonging fillers

Botox does have a tendency to increase the longevity of hyaluronic acid fillers when injected in the same area so there is no effect on the undereye area by injecting crow's feet

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Making fillers last longer with Botox

Although, not a definite yes, some studies suggest that using both Botox and a hyaluronic acid filler (Juvederm or Restylane) together at the same site will make the result last longer.

The idea is that with less muscle movement, the filler does not breakdown as quickly. This is more of a factor for areas of the lower face that move a lot. In the upper face and around the eye, this is less applicable.

When starting new treatments, especially in combination, I recommend seeking out a trained injector who is familiar with both types of injectables. They should be able to review the risks and describe how they would deal with any issues or complications. Safety is a priority.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon