Botox - will any positive effect happen?

Hi. I went in for some botox and asked the injecting doctor to not too much botox into my forehead (he injected close to my hairline, around my eyebrows, and between my nose) as I didn't want a freeze effect. He, in turn, used the lowest cosmetically possible dose that is recommended for a male (40 mg I think). It is now 5 days, and I have not seen any improvements. Is it possible the dose is too low or should I wait until 2 weeks are up? Will I get any improvement what so ever?

What to expect after treatment with Botox

The lowest effective dose will vary from patient to patient, but in general the larger the muscle the larger will be the Botox dosage requirement.  It is possible that the dosage you received is not sufficient to relax the treated muscles, thus allowing continued movement.  

However, full effect may take up to 2 weeks.  Thus it would be prudent to allow 2 weeks to pass prior to following up for additional units.  

It’s better to go conservative at first with Botox, as the effects cannot be reversed.

While most patients typically begin to see results from Botox within 3 to 5 days, it can take longer in some people. I would give it a full two weeks to see if there is any change, and if you are unsatisfied with your results after that time, visit your injector again for a touch-up. It’s better to go conservative at first with Botox, as the effects cannot be reversed.

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Cosmetic Botox in Men

I would wait 10-14 days from the injection date to see the final effect. If you don't get the desired effect at that timetable, return for more units of Botox. 

Best
Dr. Karamanoukian

Botox

Botox usually takes 2 or 3 days to start to work, and will continue to improve over the first 7 to 10 days. The full affect is typically achieved after 14 days.

Should you still have full movement after 14 days, I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your qualified injector to discuss your concerns and options.

Take care.

Botox and Men

I inject a great deal of men with Botox and find that the forehead and glabella muscles are much stronger and often need more units injected.  I would wait two weeks and if there is still no effect return to your treating physician for examination and more Botox.  Best, Dr. Green

No Response From BOTOX After 5 Days

Dear Steve, Thank you for posting your interesting question. This year, I have noticed a significant increase in the number of men having BOTOX or BROTOX, as I like to refer to it in my practice. Usually, BOTOX takes effect after 2-3 days, but it's full effect can take up to 1 week. Men, in general, have larger muscles and require more units of BOTOX for the desired effect. Also, the pattern of BOTOX injections into the forehead and crows feet determine the effectiveness of the treatment. The reason that BOTOX is injected, because it has to be placed into the target muscle group.  If you do not see enough improvement with decreased lines and motion of your forehead, I recommend that you return to your Board Certified injector who can examine you and possibly inject additional "units" of BOTOX in the affected areas. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Allow for Botox to work for about 7-10 days more. If you are still not happy, then go to your injector for an evaluation. If you had only 40 units, this is a conservative dose for a male and you might need more, but you asked to start low also.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox dosing

Dosing of botox varies from patient to patient widely depending on the strength of their muscles, the depth of their wrinkles, the quality of their skin, their gender, and their desired outcome.  It is never a bad idea to start with a lower dose and add later if needed.  Botox usually starts to become apparent in 2-3 days with full effect in 10-14 days.  Make a follow up at the 2 week mark to see if additional injections are needed.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

It can take botox a week to really kick in. I tell patients to give it two weeks and then come in for follow-up.  Best of luck.

Botox

The onset of the effect of Botox will vary. Typically 3-5 days before you may start to notice a difference but it can take up to 2 weeks before you notice the end result of your treatment. Men often require a higher dose. I recommend waiting the 2 weeks before returning to your provider. On a positive note, with a conservative approach you can always add more. Best of luck.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD